• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you prefer the G-1 over the A-2?

Dr H

I prefer the M-422A over the A-2 in terms of comfort, but the A-2 still looks more cool.
Having said that, the A-1 is still the best looker in my book...

Skip

Getting an A-2 soon I hope, so not really qualified to answer this question from experience, but Bi-Swing backs are comfortable. Guess it depends whether you like Mouton collars or not, some love 'em some hate 'em. I prefer the AN-J-3, Army/Navy combo, best of both worlds IMO.

G-1's tend to get tighter and shorter(?) as the years moved on, and progressively less finesse/design in the detail depending on maker of course. As already mentioned M-422a is the better.

Andreart

G-1s are much more comfortable, bi swing back etc. the A-2 has a spot in my heart though, if you get one that fits right A-2 for me, dont like fur collars much.

MikeyB-17

I do. I have come to the conclusion that A-2's just don't suit me. Cool and iconic they may be, but I'm not. My G-1 gets more wear than my A-2 these days, although I get a bit fed up with the fur collar sometimes-perhaps an AN-J-3 is the way to go.

Nickb123

I can't say I like one more than the other...I'm sure my heart is made from both horsehide and goatskin.

Rutger

Being the more wearable jacket, I wish I loved the G1 or similiar naval types, but I don't, I'll probably never buy one but stick with A2's, nylon and A1. Don't like fur collars, those modified A2's with a fur collar (wasn't that AVG) are way off.

Stony

G-1 type for wearability and functionality for sure. A-2 is cool looking, but not really practical IMO for daily wear.

PaulGT3

I never thought I would like the G-1 more than the a2, But when I got mine on the first time
it was comfort at the highest level. And for these 45-60 degree temps we have here now,
its perfect. I still love the A2's but the G-1 is my house coat, my old sweatshirt my favorite
pair of sneakers. Its just a great design. And the collar is a perfect size.

Skip

Careful Paul, a couple of the guys here might persuade you to trade that G-1 house coat for an A-1... ;) :D

PaulGT3

Skip Luckily no one so far has led me down the Hansel and Grettel trail of trades yet. Either they dont want to
fool such a noob or take advantage of such an unprepared guy like me! :lol:

Marv

I love them both equally but for comfort, the M422a/G1 wins hands down in my opinion and I do think the mouton collar makes the jacket without it, it just looks odd.

dilbert

I've got both, G-1 (Navy-issued to me in '67, Ralph Edwards, still in great condition) and some repro A-2's. I find the A-2 to be a bit less casual looking, better for business casual dress than the G-1. As far as comfort there is nothing like the older G-1's, I flew, worked and slept in mine at one time. I seldom wear it anymore because all the patches tend to attract attention, however. The A-2 is my go-to jacket for everyday wear in cold weather and I think they look great. It's all a matter of personal opinion, of course.

FlyingYankee

dilbert said:
I've got both, G-1 (Navy-issued to me in '67, Ralph Edwards, still in great condition) and some repro A-2's. I find the A-2 to be a bit less casual looking, better for business casual dress than the G-1. As far as comfort there is nothing like the older G-1's, I flew, worked and slept in mine at one time. I seldom wear it anymore because all the patches tend to attract attention, however. The A-2 is my go-to jacket for everyday wear in cold weather and I think they look great. It's all a matter of personal opinion, of course.
That's a really good point. Goodwear has some great looking Navy jackets on their site. If I buy an older G1 that needs a new zipper and knits the cost of repairs would make it better to spend the money for a GW

jschare

FlyingYankee said:
dilbert said:
That's a really good point. Goodwear has some great looking Navy jackets on their site. If I buy an older G1 that needs a new zipper and knits the cost of repairs would make it better to spend the money for a GW

Not necessarily. I needed a zipper replaced on my Cagleco 7823. It cost me $200 for the jacket. $70 for the vintage zipper from MASH and $45 to have it replaced. A little over $300 for a vintage jacket.