• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Avirex HH A2's have a good reputation?

CombatWombat

It’s a lovely jacket, but surely you can find one for less. I know the patch makes it enticing but a little patience will pay off. That’s a rather high asking price.

That said, I still would like another one of these modern ones one day. I quite like the horsehide. Pockets are meh but the opinion I’ve long held is that most pilots don’t care about historical accuracy - these loosely based jackets actually encapsulate the feel of “piloting” more than the super accurate repros. Plus, many WWII flyers wore these less than accurate recreations in their later years. There is a place for both I feel. View attachment 78040
Actually the patch I'd probably take off since it's a little like stolen valor in my eyes.....I'm just interested in the hide which is why I went with the two AVI Denmark jackets
I do love the jacket in your picture though.....my wallet and my wife probably would kill me if I got anymore this month though lol

B-Man2

B-Man2..... what can I say.....that is a absolute gem of a jacket and if the one for sale looked half like that I'd have shelled out the 700aud happily.
I'm glad that Avirex made beautifully designed jackets out of hides with a lot of character.... maybe I'll be lucky in the future (if the A2 bug bites me hard) and find one of those early ones
Thanks for the kind words CW.
As Nick said, that Avirex you looked at was over priced. Glad you didn’t buy it.
In the future most of us here would be happy to give you some help on realistic pricing on these used jackets, at least until you have a good idea of what they’re worth. The 1978 Avirex I posted above was their “Limited Edition” model that I had been trying to find in a decent condition size 46 for about 2 or 3 years. it was about half the price of the jacket you considered. So sometimes it takes a while to find that one jacket you’re searching for.
CE0E26AA-DF2E-492D-8841-C0B5FF60C302.jpeg

CombatWombat

Thanks for the kind words CW.
As Nick said, that Avirex you looked at was over priced. Glad you didn’t buy it.
In the future most of us here would be happy to give you some help on realistic pricing on these used jackets, at least until you have a good idea of what they’re worth. The 1978 Avirex I posted above was their “Limited Edition” model that I had been trying to find in a decent condition size 46 for about 2 or 3 years. it was about half the price of the jacket you considered. So sometimes it takes a while to find that one jacket you’re searching for. View attachment 78041
Yeah I know it's overpriced....I guess that's the draw back of living "Down Under".....that and the multitude of things trying to kill you lol!
We just don't have the population to have a high turnover of quality second hand goods,so everything you do see is expensive compared to the UK or USA.
Personally I'm happy I went with AVI.....two brand new jackets and it works out only $100ish more than the Avirex that was used.

mulceber

Yeah I know it's overpriced....I guess that's the draw back of living "Down Under".....that and the multitude of things trying to kill you lol!
We just don't have the population to have a high turnover of quality second hand goods,so everything you do see is expensive compared to the UK or USA.
Personally I'm happy I went with AVI.....two brand new jackets and it works out only $100ish more than the Avirex that was used.

Looking forward to your review! AVI makes some nice jackets, and the bang for your buck is hard to beat.

B-Man2

You made a good choice .

Chandler

As long as we're comparing early experimentation with repro flight jackets, here is my own Avirex HH purchased around 1990-91. Back in the early days of grain (touted in Avirex marketing) before people were concerned about spending a lot of money for a rather gnarly-looking piece of hide.
9wvvHda.jpg

OISX3Ec.jpg

NRqk6Lc.jpg

XKiCaYP.jpg

BzpdFUQ.jpg

ebgBCzA.jpg

kQRaQfO.jpg

NzOkzlm.jpg

Just speculating, but I think the "limited" on the tags refers to Avirex the company: Avirex Ltd. Although, this was the famed "MacArthur" jacket sold by the Cockpit, so it is/was a "special release."

Also note the 1978 on the spec tag nomenclature; I can pinpoint the purchase of this jacket to between 1990 and 1991 (a time that I had a lotta spending dough), so I guess Avirex started their line of A-2s in '78?

And also, note the crappy, synthetic-based knits, nothing like Burt's... though they still hold their shape! ;)

Last edited:

Chandler

That is some gorgeous graining on that jacket. I bet it’s gone up in value over these last few years as well .
If only for those polyester knits. ;)

I thought I got a view on one of the sleeves, but I don't see it -- there's an actual stitching scar from the horse's veterinarian!

I remember The Cockpit's description of their HH being "rugged" and to expect such defects. Yet, I think the MacArthur was still priced higher than their "every day" A-2.

B-Man2

If only for those polyester knits. ;)

I thought I got a view on one of the sleeves, but I don't see it -- there's an actual stitching scar from the horse's veterinarian!

I remember The Cockpit's description of their HH being "rugged" and to expect such defects. Yet, I think the MacArthur was still priced higher than their "every day" A-2.
I honestly think that we are the only ones who would even notice the difference between wool and polyester knits .99.9 % of the population would be oblivious to it. But if it really is a bother, throw a set of wool ones on it. Steve Sellers is very reasonable with his pricing and once it’s done you might get more wear out of the jacket. I think the jacket looks pretty nice as it is but just a suggestion .

mulceber

I will say, I kinda like the green knits, even if they aren't accurate. Kinda reminds me of how the knits in the Great Escape frequently appear.

Chandler

I will say, I kinda like the green knits, even if they aren't accurate. Kinda reminds me of how the knits in the Great Escape frequently appear.
They don't look quite so green in person, they're kind of a muddy, gray-brown.

Chandler

I honestly think that we are the only ones who would even notice the difference between wool and polyester knits .99.9 % of the population would be oblivious to it. But if it really is a bother, throw a set of wool ones on it. Steve Sellers is very reasonable with his pricing and once it’s done you might get more wear out of the jacket. I think the jacket looks pretty nice as it is but just a suggestion .
You hit the nail with wearing it often -- which I don't, but that's more due to the fit than the knits. It's really only comfortable as a windbreaker over a light shirt -- and I'm spoiled by the fit, feel, & appearance of my other A-2s.

But it's a sentimental favorite and gets thrown on now and again.

johnwayne

B-Man2 yours Avirex I must say is prob the best Ive seen from them! Conversely, Ive seen some truly awful renditions on ebay as Im sure many here have and bugs me with the claims of ‘vintage’ etc. Given Jeff Clyman’s knowledge (and collection I believe) of A2’s, as obvious in his ‘Cowboys of the Sky’ book, you’d have thought he would/could have reproduced better and beat ELC/Aero to be front runners in the repro market back in the late 80’s!! Do still enjoy the book though and really liked visting their store in NYC in early 90’s - they did briefly have one in London too!!!

MikeyB-17

The book is a hoot, and I was glad of it when there wasn’t much out there in the way of literature relating to flight jackets (although tbh, there still isn’t). Stories of Jeff Clyman’s supposed fanaticism for accuracy (‘Achtung! I am watching you!’) and yet they turned out the ludicrously fanciful efforts that everyone thought were the mutt’s nuts in the 80’s-I remember drooling over them myself in Long Acre when I was a teenager. My old horsehide Avirex A-2 has had a hard life, I removed some old paint when I got it, but the hide is fabulous stuff. It’s pretty short, with a tight waist knit, looks ridiculous unzipped, and is marked a 46 when it’s more like a small 42, but I still hang on to it.

Pa12

Still have my cowhide one I bought in 89. Haven’t worn it since I bought my Gibson and Barnes in 91. Wore that one until I discovered Eastman. Now I’ve discovered good wear. A lot of money over the years. And took a shit kicking on everyone I sold. Even gave away one to my dad and brother.

johnslemp

Hello Mikey! Speaking of books on the A-2, my book on the subject is currently "in production." Had an online meeting with my graphic designer yesterday, and it's gonna be gorgeous, if I do say so myself. It'll be 12"x12" square, and probably about 300 pages. Learn more here: www.wwiibomberboys.com It'll probably be this fall before it's ready, but we are actively working on it.

Over 150 jackets have been photographed, and we'll have short stories/narratives to go along with some of them, and over 20 portraits as well.

We've already had 79 books pre-ordered, and when 100 is reached, the price will increase by $30.

As an aside, I was able to photograph 10 jackets at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in January, and they included:

Jimmy Stewart - the actor and 20 mission B-24 pilot

Philip Rasmussen - pilot who got off the ground during the Pearl Harbor attack

Tex Hill/George Bailey/John Donovan - Original Flying Tigers who wore an M-422

Tom Griffin - Navigator on Crew 9 during the Doolittle Tokyo Raid

Hess Bomberger - a P-51 pilot and local Atlanta resident...still charging along at 100 years old! See the attached images.

William Alsbrook - Tuskegee Airman and P-51 pilot in Italy (99th Fighter Squadron)

Jay Zeamer - Medal of Honor recipient

Evelyn Ordway - flight nurse in the south Pacific

Hub Zemke - P-47/P-51 fighter pilot with 17 3/4 kills and commander of the 56th Fighter Group. Later a POW.

Max Markman - a member of the 380th Bomb Group, 5th Air Force. Just some cool artwork

I think the wait will be worth it...

John

Attachments

• Slemp_211118_022544.jpg
    Slemp_211118_022544.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Slemp_220127_22744.jpg
    Slemp_220127_22744.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 130