• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic colour A-2 Aircrew pictures

kkochheiser

I agree with CBI that seal seems a bit more contemporary plus the B&W film from that era tends to register russet as darker, more like seal. The only answer is to have (at least) one of each!

Kent

Lignemaginot

Curahee said:
While were at it, here are some mine in colour

CBI:

36thFtrSqdn47EnglishMacgowanDinoP38.jpg
36thFtrSqdn48DinoP38KayonIeshima.jpg

USAAF-HUMP_08.jpg
5.jpg

Tex Hill sadlin' up
TexHillsaddlinup.jpg

and this is one of my favorites William R. Withaker 356th FG
005_5.jpg

The one showing the guy with the CBI patch has me thinking... should I attach an original theater-made CBI patch to my GW repro? Or will I kill myself for having put holes in the jacket? Decisions, decisions.....

Thank you for the responses. Getting one in both does seem to answer the question, or at least justify the reason. ;) . I do think that the color pictures show the russet for what it is and the BW photos do show the same color much darker. Although the Airmen leaning on the prop is definitely wearing a darker seal color A-2. I noticed something else too. The gent with the pistol belt worn on the outside of his jacket, does his jacket seem longer than the other ones? It looks like his was made for a much taller person. I know they got what they got from the QM. Just an observation really.

Chandler

I was thinking the same -- and I'll have to admit that the last one, at the P-51, looks sort'a thin... but man, not any in the first two!

Chandler

better duck

The predominance of russet is obvious, at least in these photos. Maybe some of you gentlemen have access to the original Mephis Belle documentary by Billy Wyler, there are shots of a crew mission briefing in there (in colour) that show some very dark seal jackets mixed in between the russety ones. So it would seem to me seal is just as contemporary, just a lot less common.
Apart from that: amazing how much more "real" and "here and now" colour photos are, don't you think? B&W creates distance. The colour pictures make it seem like it happened yesterday!

Peter, you are so right. B&W photos show us a place we can only see but not touch. The color photos are great in seeing the color of those jackets but it does take some of the nostalgia away.

Jake431

There is a richness of color that old kodachrome film possesses that renders it "past" to my eye, but yes, definitely more here and now than the black and white photos.

Incidentally, that pic of the man leaning against his P-51 Prop - he was in the 356th FG, which had my favorite nose cowling insignia of the 8th AF.

-Jake

A

Anonymous

Swing said:
Other than the first photo, a lot of smooth looking jackets there.

~Swing
From 20 ft. away maybe smooth. The innate grain is there...

Swing

rotenhahn said:
Swing said:
Other than the first photo, a lot of smooth looking jackets there.

~Swing
From 20 ft. away maybe smooth. The innate grain is there...

How many of those photos are from 20 feet away? The one with the guys standing over the map certainly isn't that far away, nor is the one of the guy with the CBI patch on his left shoulder over an AAF decal (BTW, that jacket sure looks like my old Avirex).

~Swing

A

Anonymous

I agree with you about the Avirex jacket although my old Avirex was seal colored it had the same pocket shape and fit. As far as the guys looking at the map to me that looks like if you got close up the leather would have pebbly grain on most of those jackets but who knows really? We can both be right! In general the jackets definitely look like they are made from relatively thin, supple leather; there's lots of wrinkling on the sleeves and they just look loose, not stiff IMO. (Not all I realize)

asiamiles

Hamsterbear said:
I always liked this one....
BriansHPphotos065.jpg

I've been watching a few old film noirs the last few days, and in one a policeman was wearing an A-2 in similar fashion, with his gun belt worn over it.

Andrew

Here are some more.... enjoy 'em

Flight crew, Aleutian Islands.
IMG_2297.jpg

"Button Nose"
IMG_3770.jpg

Crew members of a B-17 in jeep pose for shot in July of 1944. All but three were killed on August 2, 1944.
IMG_3909.jpg

Adak Island, Aleutians (11th Air Force) - Pilots of a fighter squadron shown walking towards their P-38 prior to take off on a mission.
PICT0074.jpg

Pilot is initiated by a dunking in trailer filled with water. England
IMG_3927.jpg

Squadron commander at left briefs members of the 355th Fighter Squadron before taking off on a fighter mission near Ober-Olm, Germany.
PICT0612.jpg

Officers and men around where an instructor explains ditching procedure.
PICT1886.jpg

Andrew

Just a guess but possibly this;

91st BG
1 CBW
Bassingbourn, UK
7 November 1942
B-17
Squadron Codes
322 BS - LG
323 BS - OR
324 BS - DF
401 BS - LL

Swing

Leadsky said:
Squadron commander at left briefs members of the 355th Fighter Squadron before taking off on a fighter mission near Ober-Olm, Germany.
PICT0612.jpg

Nice picture of a war time redye.

~Swing

rich

Leadsky said:
Just a guess but possibly this;

91st BG
1 CBW
Bassingbourn, UK
7 November 1942
B-17
Squadron Codes
322 BS - LG
323 BS - OR
324 BS - DF
401 BS - LL

This is 'Little Miss Mischief' getting some paintwork - that familiar 'A' again.
biga.jpg