• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic colour A-2 Aircrew pictures

Andrew

These are just great, interesting to note that a lot of these don't look much different from how they look today- totally broken in.

It's hard to say what's tougher- the jacket or the man....

Adak Island, Aleutians (11th Air Force) - C.O. of a fighter squadron in the Aleutian Front.
PICT0032.jpg

Lead pilot in 8th Air Force giving bombardiers "pointers" on landmarks. England
IMG_3849.jpg

Captain instructs combat fliers on the fine points of formation flying. England
IMG_3879.jpg

Typical pilots, navigators, bombardiers, gunners and radio operators at an 8th Air Force base somewhere in England.
IMG_3773.jpg

Crew of the Consolidated B-24 "The Goon." China
IMG_3583.jpg

Lts. review a course flown deep into Germany. England
IMG_3738.jpg

Pilots of a North American P-51 group in flying togs and Mae West jackets at a base in England.
IMG_3766.jpg

kevlarg

Check out the gnarly tobacco stain the first guy's index finger. You have to chain 'em to get that! :D

Vcruiser

kevlarg said:
Check out the gnarly tobacco stain the first guy's index finger. You have to chain 'em to get that! :D

Well...considering what they were facing....nerves could certainly help cause that.

Van

kevlarg

Vcruiser said:
kevlarg said:

Well...considering what they were facing....nerves could certainly help cause that.

Van

I'd believe it. They said that Ike smoked 4 to 5 packs a day during the war due to the stress.

Curahee

While were at it, here are some mine in colour

CBI:

36thFtrSqdn47EnglishMacgowanDinoP38.jpg
36thFtrSqdn48DinoP38KayonIeshima.jpg

USAAF-HUMP_08.jpg
5.jpg

Tex Hill sadlin' up
TexHillsaddlinup.jpg

and this is one of my favorites William R. Withaker 356th FG
005_5.jpg

Jason

Thanks Andrew & others - great thread. That second photo really hit the spot for me...

Russet seems to be the dominate color in all of those jackets. Why do so many people want the Seal color for their own jackets. I have no qualms with either one, just curious.

CBI

My Aero Leather Real Deals have been in Seal. Its a slightly more contemporary color at least to me. For a long time the repro companies seemed to often produce russet products that had the color of dog poop to me. Russet is my prefered color (minus the dog doo) but I do love the darker colors