• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camp Skeel Mich, december 1940

bombs away

Hello,

I tought it might have some interest for prewar jacket lovers.
This picture has been taken on the 12th december 1940 and is noted on the back "army air corps pilots making aerial combat studies at Camp Skeel, Mich., returning to their barracks after a test flight".

I like the different kinds of jackets and gear used at this time.

4563127296_cb0e91c294_o.jpg

#1 pilot has a B-2 flight jacket and A-2 flight trousers
#2 pilot has a white B-6 flight helmet and A-2 flight jacket (is there a snap at the bottom of the zipper ?)
#3 pilot has an A-4 flight suit
#4 pilot has a white B-3 flight jacket
#5 pilot has an A-3 flight suit and an A-2 jacket worn under.
#6 pilot has an A-2 flight jacket and something like a white skull cap under his headset.

I'm far from aware of prewar jackets so I may have made some mistakes. :oops:
It's interesting also to notice the different kinds of flight boots.

Tim.

Andrew

Great clear photo for lovers of flightgear. Somewhat individual way to wear a flight suit over an A-2 sleeves rolled up. Thanks Tim.

zoomer

Camp Skeel (later Oscoda AAF, still later Wurtsmith AFB) is up in northern lower Michigan, near Lake Huron. Winter aircraft testing as well as exercises were held here.

Planes are P-35s, surely from the 1st Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, for which Skeel was originally a layover stop.

Great motley assortment of gear - they could almost be a WW2 crew except that they're all too old. The sheepskin under #6's cans obviously is a combination of earmuffs and sound insulating pad - probably a rigger's creation.

I know I'm a nut on the topic, but note the fit of the A-2s - loose enough to layer under or over. We can assume #3 has one on underneath his flight suit. This is December, so it's capital-C Cold.

4563066735_a291c327dd_o.jpg

P-35s of the 27th PS, 1st PG, on the ground at Selfridge, 1938.

Marv

The A2 on pilot #2 will more than likely be the stud holding the hookless zipper in place - probably a Werber.

asiamiles

zoomer said:
The sheepskin under #7's cans obviously is a combination of earmuffs and sound insulating pad - probably a rigger's creation.

There's a #7? You're probably right about #6, but at first glance I thought - and I don't even know if such garments existed in 1940 - he looked like he was wearing a grey sweatshirt with the hood pulled up over a cap and the phones over the hood.

Falcon_52

Great photos! Yes, to me it looks like man #2 and man #6 are wearing the 33-1729 Werber A-2. The waist knits look to have that signature light brown color.

The jacket on man #1 could be a B-1 instead of a B-2. You can see the two collar straps (as opposed to the loop and button closure). If I recall correctly, Switlik Parachute's last B-1 contract had this feature and the contract continued into their B-2 series.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting.

Noel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Falcon_52 said:
The jacket on man #1 could be a B-1 instead of a B-2. You can see the two collar straps (as opposed to the loop and button closure). If I recall correctly, Switlik Parachute's last B-1 contract had this feature and the contract continued into their B-2 series.

Yes, the contract was for both jackets, and the trousers, but to me, it looks B-2 like. I would expect the fleece lined jacket to appear a little more bulky.

But you're right, it could be either, and with it fastened at the neck like that, we'll never know.

navvet

It would be interesting to have this in a color photo. The B-3 has a variety of shades that seem quite colorful.

Roughwear

navvet said:
It would be interesting to have this in a color photo. The B-3 has a variety of shades that seem quite colorful.

The mid '30s B-3 is made of undyed sheepskin and has contrasting russet hh facings-a nice combination IMO.