• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British Air Forces 1914 - 1918, Images of War

dinomartino1

AC0158-Cobby-in-his-flying-machine-AWM-1600x950.jpg

Harry Cobby in a Sopwith Camel in Britain when he was posted there as a flight instructor 1918-1919
He organised the high-visibility check paint pattern himself, "not for conceit, but for safety".
.Cobby noted that this was "the best Camel he could find" and he flew it regularly during his posting to Number 8 Squadron (training) at Leighterton.

capt_a_h_cobby_dso_dfc.jpg

4091000.JPG

Group portrait of a group of officers of A Flight, No. 4 Squadron of the Australian Flying Corps (AFC), at their aerodrome near Clairmarais. Back row, left to right: Lieutenant (Lt) W. A. Armstrong; Lt A. T. Heller; Lt A. H. Lockley; Lt J. S. M. Browne. Front row: Lt R. F. McRae; Lt [Elwyn] Roy King DFC; Captain A. H. Cobby DSO DFC; Lt R. G. Smallwood; Lt C. R. Burton.

4108117.JPG

Portrait of Captain Arthur Henry Cobby DSO DFC standing in front of Avro 504k

The top air ace of the AFC , Australian Flying Corps and a national hero was Arthur Henry (Harry) Cobby (1894-1955) from Victoria who achieved 29 air to air victories (19 scout fighters, 5 two seaters and 5 observation balloons that were generally well defended – a speciality of his in particular, Harry Cobby helped develop tactics to take these balloons down). This was quite an achievement as he only saw active combat service for less than a year and achieved all these victories within six months between March 21st and September 4th, 1918.

Cobby enlisted in 1916 and embarked for Europe in 1917 where he served with No. 4 Squadron flying the Sopwith Camel. He seems to have been quite a character fitting his aircraft with aluminium cutouts of Charlie Chaplin.

Cobby soon encountered the enemy including expert pilots from Manfred Von Richthofens “Flying Circus“, 2 of which he claimed as his first victories on March 21st, 1918 (Albatros D.V scout planes). He shot down 2 or more aircraft in a day on at least 5 occasions. By 1918 he was promoted to Captain and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and bars for bravery. In September 1918 Cobby was reposted to England as a flight instructor, before returning to Australia in 1919.

Cobby was one of the original officers when the RAAF was formed in 1921 and eventually he reached the rank of Air Commodore in the RAAF where he continued to serve until 1946 and then in the Civil Aviation Department until his sudden death in 1955. During his career in World War Two he was the Air Commander of the Australian 1st Tactical Air Force, the main strike force of the RAAF fighting Imperial Japanese forces in the Pacific theatre.

Smithy

BTW Dino or anyone else interested in the AFC should pick up Michael Molkentin's "Fire in the Sky", a history of the AFC in WWI and which came out a few years back. Spectacularly good book.

dinomartino1

Australian Flying Corps ground crew.
Interesting to see some of the now mostly redundant trades needed to keep the old birds in the air.

4114072.JPG

3rd Squadron, Australian Flying Corps with the squadron's Leyland photographic lorry., Belgium

4089414.JPG

FLIGHT SERGEANT ARTHUR BAIRD, LEADING FLIGHT ENGINEER WITH NO 1 SQUADRON, AUSTRALIAN FLYING CORPS (AFC) TUNING UP A BEARDMORE ENGINE, 1917.

4112801.JPG

Mechanics of the 1st Squadron, of the Australian Flying Corps, overhauling a Bristol Fighter aeroplane, Palestine 1918.

6099152.JPG

The sailmaker of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps working at his Singer sewing machine. Palestine 1918.

4043187.JPG

The wireless tent of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, showing the operators at work.
Palestine 1918.

4066986.JPG

The vulcanizer of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps
Palestine 1918.

4093086.JPG

Air mechanics of the 3rd Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, overhauling an R.E.8 Aircraft belonging to B Flight at the Squadron's airfield.
Picardie France.

4056182.JPG

Coppersmiths of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, Palestine 1918.

6055740.JPG

Working on Lewis guns in the Armoury Section of No 1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps.
Palestine 1918.

4112046.JPG

A member of the Instrument Repairing Staff of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, at work. Palestine 1917.

Smithy

Keep them coming Dino, these are perfect. It's also good to have the fellows who were behind the scenes making sure that the aircew boys could do their jobs.

dinomartino1

3794721.JPG

SINAI, C.1916-17. PHOTOGRAPHER H.V. LECKIE, NO 1 SQUADRON AUSTRALIAN FLYING CORPS (AFC), MOUNTING A CAMERA ON THE STARBOARD SIDE OF A BE2E AIRCRAFT

4009951.JPG

Sectioned guns and ammunition etc prepared by armourers of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps.
Ottoman Empire: Palestine, Mejdel Jaffa Area, Ramleh 1918.

3806924.JPG

England. c. 1917. Lieutenant (Lt) W. F. Eales, 103 Squadron RAF, with a Hythe camera gun on a ground mount during training. Lt Eales was a photographer with No. 80 Wing RAF, which also included No. 2 and No. 4 Squadrons, Australian Flying Corps (AFC).

4119940.JPG

An interior view of a workshop lorry of C Flight, Australian Flying Corps. An unidentified mechanic is working at a lathe, two drill presses are to the left.
Ottoman Empire: Palestine, Mejdel Jaffa Area, Ramleh 1917

6777472.JPG

Members of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps at work in the engine shop at Ramleh, Palestine 1917.

4013534.JPG

An airman of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, examining and detonating the bombs to be used in a bombing expedition before being loaded onto the Martinsyde G. 100 Elephant aircraft in the foreground and the Bristol F.2B Fighter aircraft in the background.
Ottoman Empire: Palestine, Mejdel Jaffa Area, Mejdel, 1918

4040747.JPG

A mechanic of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, engaged in oxygen-acetylene welding work
Ottoman Empire: Palestine 1918.

4163851.JPG

The rigger's shop at the Australian Flying Corps Training Depot attached to the Royal Air Force School of Technical Training, Halton Camp. SE5A serial A4849 and RE8 serial A4166 being assembled. 1918.

6117372.JPG

Armourers of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, at work.
Ottoman Empire: Palestine, Mejdel Jaffa Area, Ramleh 1917.

4056183.JPG

Wireless mechanic of the 1st Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, at work.
Ottoman Empire: Palestine 1917

dinomartino1

4115175.JPG

Photographic Section of the Australian Flying Corps engaged in trimming and drying prints.
Ottoman Empire: Palestine, Mejdel Jaffa Area, Ramleh 1917.

4104933.JPG

KANTARA, SINAI, C1916. NO 1 SQUADRON AUSTRALIAN FLYING CORPS (AFC). MECHANICS FIT ENGINE TO BE2 SERIES AIRCRAFT

3803295.JPG

Probably England. c. 1918. A Williamson aerial reconnaissance camera attached to the side of an aircraft. It was used by the Photographic Section of No. 103 Squadron, No. 80 Wing RAF. No. 80 Wing also included No. 2 and No. 4 Squadrons, Australian Flying Corps (AFC)
3793372.JPG

Serny, France. 1918. Wing score board recording the results of various flying operations performed by No. 80 Wing RAF. The squadrons listed are No. 4 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps (AFC), No. 88 Squadron RAF, No. 2 Squadron AFC, No. 92 Squadron RAF, No. 103 Squadron RAF, No. 46 Squadron RAF, and No. 54 Squadron RAF. The other columns are headed `In Flames', `Crashed', `O.O.C.' (Out of Control), `Driven Down' and `Balloons Destroyed'.

4083188.JPG

Clairmarais, France. June 1918. The instruments on the dashboard of a 'Camel' aeroplane of No. 4 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps.

4300256.JPG

1916 "Engine that brought 2nd Squadron from Laverton to Port Melbourne pier on day of sailing." The men are travelling via Laverton to Port Melbourne to embark HMAT Ulysses for overseas service. (This photograph is from the album of Captain James Brake, No. 2 Squadron, AFC. See P10814)

6813642.JPG

Officers of C Flight, No. 4 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps (AFC) in front of their Sopwith Camel aircraft.
1918 France: Nord Pas de Calais, Clairmarais.

Attachments

• 4083188.JPG
    4083188.JPG
    460.7 KB · Views: 173

Smithy

Seeing as we're on a bit of an AFC tangent I thought it's probably appropriate to post these photos of 3 Sqn AFC members on probably the 22nd April 1918. They are standing with the remains of Manfred von Richthofen's Dr.I. You can see that most of the fabric has been removed, including the crosses from the rudder and fuselage sides, by souvenir hunters.

e02044.JPG

3sqn_wreck_01_1000.jpg

Dr.I%20425%203sqn_wreck_02_1000.jpg

johnwayne

Is that first pic really a Sopwith Camel? Or is it the chequerboard paint job just giving the engine cowling/front end an odd look? Something about it looks different - just an observation! Great pics by the way!!

Smithy

This one is very interesting. James McCudden's scarf which is held at the Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre. Don't worry about the tunic as that is a replica (the IWM has two original tunics of Mac's, one like this and the other a "maternity" jacket version). The scarf is in the colours and stripes of the Royal Flying Corps. I've never seen another scarf like it which makes me think that Mac possibly had it made for himself when he was on leave after returning to the UK after leaving 56 Sqn, or it was a gift.

McCuddenScarfMontrose2018.jpg

dinomartino1

Is that first pic really a Sopwith Camel? Or is it the chequerboard paint job just giving the engine cowling/front end an odd look? Something about it looks different - just an observation! Great pics by the way!!
Yeah i thought the same the shape at the front looked different, there are a few other photos with the same caption, the same pic is also on the wikipedia page for the camel.
I think it's just an optical illusion because of the paint scheme like you say.

Last edited:

Smithy

Yeah i thought the same the shape at the front looked different, there are a few other photos with the same caption, the same pic is also on the wikipedia page for the camel.

The pic is of one of Cobby's Camels, a F.1. It's E7267 - I'll have to check my books but if memory serves it was a Bentley variant.

dinomartino1

This one is very interesting. James McCudden's scarf which is held at the Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre. Don't worry about the tunic as that is a replica (the IWM has two original tunics of Mac's, one like this and the other a "maternity" jacket version). The scarf is in the colours and stripes of the Royal Flying Corps. I've never seen another scarf like it which makes me think that Mac possibly had it made for himself when he was on leave after returning to the UK after leaving 56 Sqn, or it was a gift.

Nice to see the scarf in colour.
I wonder if the RFC issued any scarves other than thick wool ones.

Smithy

Nice to see the scarf in colour

I have a photo of him not terribly long before leaving 56 and he's wearing a thicker (most probably wool) scarf in a dark colour (the photo is obviously black and white), so I'm fairly certain Mac got this after leaving 56.

dinomartino1

Smithy are you old enough to remember when wings was on the telly in the late 70s, I was 13 when they first showed it and was totally enthralled.
I was born in 64' and ww1 aircraft where quite popular amongst the general public in the 60s and 70s, more so than the ww2 stuff, you even had the snoopy vs the red baron song, everybody knew who he was back then.
This is the first aviation stuff I was into, my first Airfix model was the Fokker Triplane when they used to come in plastic bags before the boxes, every newsagent used to sell Airfix models and Airfix and Humbrol paint.

Type 0 Fokker DR1 1387.JPG

When I was really young I had a lot of plastic toy planes like these, they used to be sold everywhere, I used to like how you could pull them apart, the cowling, wings and wheels clipped on.

plastic-airplanes-biplane-red-yellow_1_a0ddb4dc9f2c846c692e3d917f7c41f8-2.jpg

plastic-airplanes-biplane-red-yellow_1_a0ddb4dc9f2c846c692e3d917f7c41f8.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I wonder if the RFC issued any scarves other than thick wool ones.

Scarves in the RFC and RNAS were usually supplied by the individual. The initial purpose of a scarf in WWI was primarily for warmth and to protect the chin and mouth from cold.

For officers flying kit was almost always private purchase. And because the vast majority of aircrew were officers it's the reason why issued items like the RFC 1913 Pattern flying coat are so rare.

Smithy are you old enough to remember when wings was on the telly in the late 70s, I was 13 when they first showed it and was totally enthralled.
I was born in 64' and ww1 aircraft where quite popular amongst the general public in the 60s and 70s, more so than the ww2 stuff, you even had the snoopy vs the red baron song, everybody knew who he was back then.
This is the first aviation stuff I was into, my first Airfix model was the Fokker Triplane when they used to come in plastic bags before the boxes, every newsagent used to sell Airfix models and Airfix and Humbrol paint.

View attachment 14757

When I was really young I had a lot of plastic toy planes like these, they used to be sold everywhere, I used to like how you could pull them apart, the cowling, wings and wheels clipped on.

View attachment 14758

View attachment 14759

Wings was fantastic. I was young but it was hugely popular with my family when it aired on the telly for the first time. Brilliant series and I watched it again just recently.

I've always had an interest in WWI aviation, and along with the Battle of Britain, it's probably my biggest love in aviation history.

Those models are classic Dino, good stuff. I actually still make the odd model when I get time now. I've got a 1/48 scale SE5a on the go at the mo which (unsurprisingly) will be in the markings of a 2 Sqn AFC machine. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take a few snaps.

Last edited:

Smithy

Apologies to those who may have seen this before (I posted this a year or two back in the film section but for those who haven't I strongly encourage them to watch this wonderful documentary. I also thought with the weekend here and some free time this might be an opportune time to have a squiz at this. This is quite a unique film as it contains several interviews with RFC, RNAS and RAF veterans and filmed interviews with these men are far rarer than interviews with their WWII counterparts. The interviews are honest and in parts remarkably frank, and also humorous - Mervyn Johns (yes the actor from the middle part of the 20th century) recounting a flying accident he had in a Harry Tate (at 10:59) is tremendously amusing in its utterly dry and deadpan manner, and Gwilym Lewis calling MvR a bullshitter (20:30) is worth a watch alone!

Also note the RFC ties, something which you obviously never see worn today.

Bombing IP

Looking at the Red Barons plane wreckage the word Kite comes to mind ,spars and linen canvas so fragile but could climb to 10,000 feet or more . Did any of the Barons plane survive to this day . I know most of the canvas was taken as souvenirs what about the guns and cockpit did the flying corp take it to be studied to further the RFC plane development .

BIP

Smithy

Looking at the Red Barons plane wreckage the word Kite comes to mind ,spars and linen canvas so fragile but could climb to 10,000 feet or more . Did any of the Barons plane survive to this day . I know most of the canvas was taken as souvenirs what about the guns and cockpit did the flying corp take it to be studied to further the RFC plane development .

BIP

There's actually quite a few bits and pieces in both public and private collections Jeff. Although saying that, every now and again over the years there's been very dubious pieces claimed to be from the wreck for sale, usually fabric. The Spandaus and their interrupter gear were nothing new to be honest as the British had come into contact with them for two years previously. The reason why the chaps in the photo are having a good old poke around with them is probably morbid curiosity - these are the guns responsible for the deaths of Allied airmen by the Ace of Aces. By this stage of the war the Dr.I was an aeroplane that the British were well aware of and had good knowledge of so it wasn't something new or groundbreaking.