• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best current 5* A-2

A couple of weeks ago, eventually decided to go with the Rough Wear 27752
Here it is...

Fresh in from Fivestar and pretty pleased with the result.
Got all I asked for, nice HH mid brown color, olive stitching, seal brown knits, consistent thickness leather all around.

Happy with the sleeves and shoulders. Always tricky when ordering different maker contract.
The RW sleeves are al lot more trim then the Dubow, but not uncomfortable, and I do like the "sporty" look :cool:

The factory fresh collar needs to be run over by a cement truck, but that wil sort itself out in a few weeks, giving it a good wear and since it's been raining here the whole time, a good soak might help also.

Wife asked me wht would you buy two of the same jackets, but what does she know...

All in all, a nice jacket.
Thanks Shawn and team.

View attachment 109487View attachment 109489

View attachment 109491

View attachment 109493

View attachment 109495

View attachment 109497Hi Blackboxr,
I recently received my dubow from 5* and am pretty pleased with it. I'm considering another A2 from them but deciding which pattern, color etc. I'm curious about your nre RW sleeve measurements relative to your Dubow. I noticed that the sleeve length given in the 5* sizing chart for both the Dubow and RW are the same but the shoulder length of the dubow is 17.9 for the size 44 and 19.
Here it is...

Got all I asked for, nice HH mid brown color, olive stitching, seal brown knits, consistent thickness leather all around.

Happy with the sleeves and shoulders. Always tricky when ordering different maker contract.
The RW sleeves are al lot more trim then the Dubow, but not uncomfortable, and I do like the "sporty" look :cool:

The factory fresh collar needs to be run over by a cement truck, but that wil sort itself out in a few weeks, giving it a good wear and since it's been raining here the whole time, a good soak might help also.

Wife asked me wht would you buy two of the same jackets, but what does she know...

Thanks Shawn and team.

View attachment 109491

View attachment 109493

View attachment 109495

View attachment 109497

Hi Blackboxr,
Not sure what happened on my last reply so I'll star over with hopefully a more succinct question. When you ordered your 5* RW did you have to have Shawn increase the sleeve length? If so how much more or less was it compared to your 5* Dubow since the shoulder width of the two patterns are different? Assuming your RW was the same size (44) as your Dubow.

Blackboxr12s

I recently received my dubow from 5* and am pretty pleased with it. I'm considering another A2 from them but deciding which pattern, color etc. I'm curious about your nre RW sleeve measurements relative to your Dubow. I noticed that the sleeve length given in the 5* sizing chart for both the Dubow and RW are the same but the shoulder length of the dubow is 17.9 for the size 44 and 19.
If you are happy with the sleeve length on the Dubow, just sent the guys an email with photo requesting the same length for the RW or whatever contract you want to order next.
That's what I did,
My Werber, Dubow and RW, sleeve length is just fine on all 3 different contracts.
They make it fit just right.

Peter

If you are happy with the sleeve length on the Dubow, just sent the guys an email with photo requesting the same length for the RW or whatever contract you want to order next.
That's what I did,
My Werber, Dubow and RW, sleeve length is just fine on all 3 different contracts.
They make it fit just right.

Peter
Thanks Peter. As always I appreciate your advise.
Chris

contracts where Shawn was able to examine an original:
Dubow 27798
Rough Wear 27752
Poughkeepsie
Star Sportswear

Their United Sheeplined pattern was taken using VERY detailed photos that I sent them, but Shawn did not examine it in person.
As of today 5-23-24 has Shawn been able to examine any other A2 contracts?

Smithy

The biggest problem with all the "cheaper" options is that the leather is nowhere near what you get on a top end repro like a GW or ELC. If you don't believe me look at pics of GW and ELC jackets and the leathers they use.

That's why you see these thread with guys redyeing these cheaper jackets, and doing other things to try and change the leather.

I'm of the opinion you're better off getting a secondhand top tier jacket or saving your pennies and getting a new top tier jacket rather.

(Caveat - this after 2 decades of fucking around with this jacket malarkey and trying all the cheap options to try and cut corners. BTW it doens't work and it never will)

Just my 2 cents worth.

IMG_0604.png
IMG_0472.jpeg
IMG_0474.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ritchy

Since this is about the "best" 5* A-2's.

I ordered the DUBOW 27798 A-2 in goatskin a few months ago.

Some of the pics below were posted in other topic, but added a few ( got what creative in some for IG :cool: ) but you get the idea.
This is by far the most comfy jacket I own. For me, fit is perfect and in general, quality build and leather are great.
The arms are not the tightest, but to say these are baggy arms, does not bother me a bit.

So I someone would ask, what's the best 5*? this one is a candidate.
Jacket s a few days old here in the photos.

Size 44 with an inch added to back length.

View attachment 103349View attachment 103351View attachment 103353View attachment 103355View attachment 103359View attachment 103361View attachment 103347
What color is this one Peter ?

Last edited:

Ritchy

Here it is...

Thanks Shawn and team.

View attachment 109491

View attachment 109493

View attachment 109495

View attachment 109497
In your opinion, which of the HH RW and the Goat Dubow is the most comfortable and easy to wear?

Blackboxr1200S

In your opinion, which of the HH RW and the Goat Dubow is the most comfortable and easy to wear?

Easy to wear...
The goat is a lot more supple (out of the box) than the HH, Dubow fit is more roomy and comfy then the RW but that thing is as squeaky as an 80 year old hinge. Great jacket when it comes to fit or drape or whatever, but for some reason I can't get the damn thing to stop acting like Micky Mouse with Tourette's.
Been thinking about giving it an Aceton rub and re-dye the jacket, but haven't had the heart to do it yet.

But, I've come to love the RW HH.
Fit's just great, is supple now, I kinda like the more snug fit, both torso and sleeves and yes I know, it's no JC or Eastman, but when wearing it, it just feels right!

Ritchy... That's a tricky question, as it all comes down to personal preference.

Oh... and both are mid brown!

1716669223529.png

Last edited:
Easy to wear...
The goat is a lot more supple (out of the box) than the HH, Dubow fit is more roomy and comfy then the RW but that thing is as squeaky as an 80 year old hinge. Great jacket when it comes to fit or drape or whatever, but for some reason I can't get the damn thing to stop acting like Micky Mouse with Tourette's.
Been thinking about giving it an Aceton rub and re-dye the jacket, but haven't had the heart to do it yet.

But, I've come to love the RW HH.
Fit's just great, is supple now, I kinda like the more snug fit, both torso and sleeves and yes I know, it's no JC or Eastman, but when wearing it, it just feels right!

Ritchy... That's a tricky question, as it all comes down to personal preference.

Oh... and both are mid brown!

View attachment 149573
Yes Eastman and the others are dead on with every single detail with beautiful Italian full grain vegetable tanned leather. Only thing is you will not find Italian leather on a single original A2. And Eastmans own book shows the paperwork for Full chrome tanning specs dated Feb 25 1941 along with test reports of hides tanned that way. Like 90% of all A2s were manufactured after that date. Wish Eastman and the others offered the leather that was on the original A2s.

Smithy

Wish Eastman and the others offered the leather that was on the original A2s.

They can't.

Leather today isn't tanned the same way as back in WWII or before. Originals look the way (and draped the beautiful way they did at the time) due to the chrome tanning method of the day.

Modern chrome tanned leather has the same drape but not the same wonderful leather appearance.

That's why veg tanned leather gets used by a lot of makers - which has the outward appearance of old school leather but doesn't have the softness nor drape.

It's a bit of a trade off.