• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B3 jacket in vogue

foster

My wife recognized something on a magazine in a waiting lobby yesterday and, being thoughtful, she told me about it. I was proud of her for recognizing it, and she was proud of me for only noticing the jacket.

Ralph Lauren made a new copy of the B3 and it appears on the cover of the August 2014 magazine.

Vogue-August-2014.jpg

ausreenactor

Your wife you say? Rightio.... B-3 by Ralph Lauren, probably a bargain. :eek:

But seriously, is the Redheads article any good?

Couchy

Peter Graham

Unless Ralph Lauren have started making amazing combat clone B-3's then that's an original. Notice the wear around the cuffs and the cracking around the collar straps. Of course I could be wrong. I normally am.

foster

I thought the same, Peter, but according to the caption my wife read in the magazine, it said it was "Polo Ralph Lauren shearling aviator jacket" bit it does look very original!

Peter Graham

foster said:
I thought the same, Peter, but according to the caption my wife read in the magazine, it said it was "Polo Ralph Lauren shearling aviator jacket" bit it does look very original!

Hmmm, I'd like to see a few more photos.

John Lever

They do a Bexley Aviator that is a distressed b3. I would buy one (at the right price) the finish looks convincing,burnished rather than the usual crude sanding.

Roughwear

The B-3 in the picture is almost certainly an original. No repro can achieve the 70+ years of patina on this jacket. The thickness of the leather straps shout original to me!

John Lever

I agree. I have seen used examples for £250 on eBay.
Simple sanding on seams and tapes does not replicate wear very well. Old leather has a burnished look that might be achieved using solvents.

Silver Surfer

good ole ralphy & co. are pretty good at getting the "look". i vote rl blexley, not original. then again, we have to keep in mind that the pix are supposed to be convincing, and are shot by high end pros. did i forget touch up and photo shop? rl used to have a store on mulberry st in nyc that had just about any kinda vintage gear mixed in with their repros, and man, it was really hard to tell what was original, and what was repro. i spent a coupla hours in there one day, and was just blow away by the effort used to make the repros look original. the kicker was, as i was about to leave, ralph walked in with a coupla young things, and he was wearing an original wwll a-2. probably a size 36, as ralph is about the size of a beer bottle.

ausreenactor

Monsoon said:
ausreenactor said:
But seriously, is the Redheads article any good?

Beware of redheads. Don't you know, every freckle on her face is a soul she's stolen!
;)

I loved a redhead once. Well more than once actually... They do live an imprint deep within your... I think we were 'mates.....where the hell did my soul go?

Damn it! :(

A

Anonymous

I think someone should make some RL repro labels
stick them on original B-3s and sell them at RL prices

just joking