• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aunt is giving me my grandfathers WW2 jacket. Any info is appreciated!!!

P51Stig

So my aunt is giving me my grandfathers WW2 jacket which I believe is a Parka? Just needing some info on the jacket. The tag says NorthPoint Sportswear on it. I’m assuming they had some sort of contract during the war to make these jackets? Is it even WW2? She says he wore it during WW2. Just looking for some answers! Thanks!
2DC9DCEA-FE5D-4402-9922-47AFB1F6B52E.png
823850F3-B4AE-4039-8E02-BB30BB8EBD78.png

mulceber

Welcome aboard. I don't recognize the jacket make (although that doesn't mean much). I will say though, that that jacket doesn't have a military specification label, so it's not a government-issued jacket. Probably a private-purchase jacket.

P51Stig

I figured it wasn’t military as there was no markings or tags indicating it was. She had another jacket of his like this that she said she got rid of awhile ago that was a little more beat up, I’m guessing that one was the military issued parka. Very sad :( -At least I’ll be getting something of his. Thanks for the help!

mulceber

This very well might be what he wore in the military. Civi versions of these jackets were used all the time by military personnel, who either couldn’t get the government issue versions of these jackets, or just liked their own versions better. The military in WW2 was a little less strict about uniform than they are today.

Smithy

I figured it wasn’t military as there was no markings or tags indicating it was. She had another jacket of his like this that she said she got rid of awhile ago that was a little more beat up, I’m guessing that one was the army issued parka. Very sad :( -At least I’ll be getting something of his. Thanks for the help!

I'd clean it up and use it. If it is indeed a B-9 style, it should have knit cuffs - I can't see them there but if they're missing or have gone manky replace them.

Those parkas are actually really practical and you'd get a lot of use out of it.

B-Man2

Hi P51
Your coat is what everyone described it as , a commercially made repro of a B-9 military jacket . I wouldn’t be too sad as it’s still a vintage jacket that will do a great job for you in cold weather . BTW welcome to VLJ … if you’re into vintage jackets and military ones stick around for a while . You can also say hi in our Members Bio Section if you’d like .
Here’s a photo of a repro of a military B-9 jacket so you can compare it to yours
Cheers
:)
8953E688-D4BD-44BC-8289-3AAB525FF5D3.png

P51Stig

This very well might be what he wore in the military. Civi versions of these jackets were used all the time by military personnel, who either couldn’t get the government issue versions of these jackets, or just liked their own versions better. The military in WW2 was a little less strict about uniform than they are today.
It would be very cool if he wore this during the war! I know not for certain but still cool to think there’s a small possibility!

P51Stig

I'd clean it up and use it. If it is indeed a B-9 style, it should have knit cuffs - I can't see them there but if they're missing or have gone manky replace them.

Those parkas are actually really practical and you'd get a lot of use out of it.
Probably stupid question but I’ll ask it anyway, what’s the best way to “clean it up?” With out wrecking it if it is from the late 40s?

Grant

If you could provide a close up pick of the zip puller we can roughly date whether it was a wartime made parka.

warguy

I bought two B-9 parkas many years ago at a local thrift store, both civilian labels but military use. Both of those were about identical to the military contract B-9 except for the label. I think the AAF was relying on the private brand a bit more when it comes to the B-9.