• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF Observations and Responses

Chandler

As much as we all know and discuss the multiple variances in flight jackets from WW2, Rollin's latest struggles with "experts" really made me roll my eyes.

I especially love:

"This cannot be spec! How can this have been allowed to happen?"

B-Man2

It boggles the mind that some cannot accept that in production runs of any equipment or military gear totaling millions of units of anything … that there’s going to be some discrepancies or differences in manufacture of those items . Particularly when dealing with those kinds of numbers and that multiplier suppliers and manufacturers were being used .

JonnyCrow

It boggles the mind that some cannot accept that in production runs of any equipment or military gear totaling millions of units of anything … that there’s going to be some discrepancies or differences in manufacture of those items . Particularly when dealing with those kinds of numbers and that multiplier suppliers and manufacturers were being used .
I remember seeing a Rock Island Arsenal Indian wars knapsack Burt with a upside down US, we know it happened

CBI

well, Rollin does like to make the most of "idiots" but yes, what a pain in the rear some of his customers are. If you are a grown adult who likse to dress up and play solider, you gotta have a screw loose. :)

Smithy

I love ATF stuff, always have but if truth be told and we're honest I'd argue his Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS stuff was always that little bit better and more accurate than his US clobber. The research he put into Waffen-SS camo patterns and their printing alone was way ahead of anything else he has done. His attention to things like MP40, MP44 mag bandoliers and the like is the same, just crazy good.

MauldinFan

I never pulled it on ATF, but I'd bought a reproduction musette bag from What Price Glory (I think) to replicate one worn by a specific war correspondent.
When I returned it, they wanted to know why, as the typeface for the 'US' was the tall sans-serif one that didn't match the real one I was trying to copy. When I explained to them, I'm sure in their eyes I was THAT guy who got nitpicky.
But it'd be like one of you trying to re-create someone's real A-2 and the maker shipping you a totally different-looking contract with different leather than you were looking for.

Smithy

I should have put in a "winkey".
The ATF stuff looks nice, I had a browse, just worried about postage and VAT.

I mentioned this in another thread...

I nearly bought a toque from them a few weeks back as they were on special. Toque was $9, shipping was going to be $41 for an item weighing around 100gms.