• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another patch ID request part II

bombs away

Hello,

Please have a look to the airman on the left.
What do you think about the left patch on his jacket (under the wings) ?
Unit ? Nose art ?

The picture must have been taken in North Africa early in the war.
The patch on the other side is the 37th BS of the 17th BG. The man isn't the original owner of the jacket as he was a clerk in this unit. He must have borrowed it from a friend.

14877507350_eab9ede8e0_b_d.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

EMBLEMHUNTER

I have seen this emblem "some where" I'll have to dig thru my images , I'm thinking it's a Squadron , will get back to you on this asap

EMBLEMHUNTER

The emblem I did find was posted in an old issue of the AF Musuem's "Friends " Journal and was an "Unidientified " one, so I'm sorry to say I have nothing else on it right now .

It would be a very interesting photo if it was in color !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

ausreenactor

Borrowing the jacket could have been a common theme in this photograph. If it was very early war rank would be on the shoulders; however, it looks like none wear AAF insignia and rank on the collar. No self-respecting officer would be without the emblems of his rank. Have to maintain the superiority at all times.

EMBLEMHUNTER

The jacket clearly has a name strip just below the painted on wings , too bad it's not a clearer photo so as to be able to read the name , it would help in possibly finding more info about the jacket's owner etc ........................