• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero A-2

MorningDiamond

Hey y'all long-time lurker of the forums here, just wanted to post my first-ever leather jacket up and get some more information on it. After lots of research and waiting around for something to pop up I managed to snag this used Aero A-2 off eBay for what I felt was a pretty fair price (~$200 USD). I'm not sure which model Aero it is since there doesn't seem to be anything that matches the tag on their website. The jacket came all the way from Kenya apparently which was surprising. I would just like to know if this is a genuine Aero jacket and what leather it was possibly made out of, maybe even when it was made because I feel like it'd be cool to know about my jacket's history.

On a side note, I did have a question about the care and maintenance of the jacket. When I got the jacket the leather seemed pretty dry and really dusty/sandy. Not to mention the jacket gives off a really strong musty smell and a hint of cigarette smoke. What would y'all recommend I do to bring the jacket back up to its best condition? I know there are things like saddle soap and leather conditioner but there's just so much out there that I'm honestly pretty overwhelmed on where to even start. Lastly, there's a little knick in the leather on the sleeve where the top grain appears to have been cut off and separated from the bottom layers of the leather. Is there any way to repair that maybe glue it back down? (leather glue?) The main thing is I am worried that if I leave it more of the top layer around the sleeve may come off but seeing as I have very little experience with repairing leather I wanted to get a second opinion on it.

Thanks in advance everyone!

a-2 1.jpg
a-2 2.jpg
a-2 3.jpg
a-2 4.jpg
a-2 5.jpg

Shanghai-Mayne

Before you use any kind of oil or conditioner, better wear the jacket for couple of days in your home. Find out if the jacket really needs oil, or simply been left in cabinet too long.

P-47 thunderbolt

Looks like it's just had a nick on something sharp. I'd use some fibings leather glue.

With the musty smell I believe you can hang it up in a cupboard with some bicarbonate of soda in an open box in there too. Should absorb the smell. Or just let it air outside.

MorningDiamond

Thanks for the replies guys. Should I glue up the knick before giving it a wash or should I do it vice versa? Sorry for so many questions I'm just really worried about messing something up

ZuZu

No history, personal observation regarding needle size and resulting puncture holes left in the leather, of course that could be way off and total bollocks.
I call it "brutal sewing" which is combined with a zig-zag stitch line. Again- just my personal observation. I've owned a couple of Aero of Scotlands and I like their Irvins. So don't call me a hater.

BTW- this jacket's kind of interesting. Old?