• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A tale of 2 Dubows...GW and BK

Jeff M

About 6 months ago I received a new BK Dubow 1755, seal "VIctory Horse" leather, dark purple knits.
Last week I received a new GW Dubow 1755, made with the new seal cowhide John has in, purple knits.
Both jackets were "custom made", same measurements.
Here are some photos.
The GW first;

devilish

I know I'm biased but the Good Wear still looks a league above the Bill Kelso. It looks a much more finished/tailored product. The GW looks made for you whereas the BK looks like it was bought 'off the rack' as a 'close enough' fit. I'm sure with a good amount of wear the differences will get smaller but as a starting point I know the one I'd pick.

Jeff M

The BK has a "boxier" fit. Leather is a bit heavier.
I used the same sleeve measurements on both jackets. The BK's will have to be shortened a fair amount.
I ordered the dark purple knits for both jackets. The BK's knits are much redder...more in line with the red knits on my GW Aero.

Here is a photo showing the knits on my GW "Acme" (red), the BK Dubow (Purple?), and the GW Dubow (Purple);

smoos

These are great photos for comparing the two. Thanks for posting them! The difference in pocket spacing and sleeve taper jumps out immediately. I don't know if one is more accurate to this contract than the other, but I do prefer the look of the GW's. The hides on both are really nice.

interbak

Hey Jeff,

The GW is stunning, but you know I'm biased as well. The GW seal is perfect, as are the purple knits. I also notice the sleeve ends on the BK appear bigger, especially around the cuffs, and the collar sits more level than the GW. I particularly ordered my GW Dubow because of the collar shape, among other things. I can tell the BK collar would be far less comfortable than the GW. The cuff end is a details most get wrong, GW does it right. GW is the clear winner in this race.

Brian

CBI

Jeff - so glad you received another Good Wear, you really need another one!!!!! Looks great.

BK, nice jacket but a distant second. Odd colors and poor cut. If you get the sleeves worked on, that will help.

Verdict for me:

GW looks like a mint original, BK looks like a nice repro.

Don't get me wrong, the BK is pretty nice looking.

great side by side and thanks for sharing!

B-Man2

Jeff;

Its Good Wear all the way but a great side by side comparison.
When you do that, the differences between the two jackets jumps right out at you.

Skip

Have to agree, the GW is a looker. Great comparison, both in fit leather and knits. What about the linings?

Jeff M

I will be keeping the GW.
I am happy with the BK...for what I ended up paying for it. (The cost of the BK M422 I returned 2 years ago.) It is a nice "repro." jacket.
My favorite feature of the BK is the leather....a bit on the heavy side for an A2 and the color is a bit uneven/off, and the grain is different across the torso vs the sleeves (grainy torso, smooth sleeves) but it has a nice hand/ suppleness.

I need to check with my sons to see if either of them would like/fit the BK. (I am 5'9". My sons are 6'1" and 6'4".) The 6'1" son may be a good fit for the sleeve length of the BK..though he is very trim/muscular, and may not like the extra space across the belly, which even on me (I could stand to loose 20#) is boxy.

If neither of them fits it/likes it, I will likely go ahead and shorten the sleeves of the BK...or sell it here for what I ended up paying for it, which I believe is still a fair amount below their current new selling price.

a2jacketpatches

JC's photography is impeccable, he really knows how to make the detail pop. And backed by his stained and scratched drawing board makes it even more esthetically pleasing. Almost looks like the hide was pre - hot water treated before assembly. The BK displays as high quality without the personal touch if ya know what I mean. So comparing the two just is what it is. Would like to see each next to an original.

Now that he's been silenced ( but probably still here under cover ) ;) maybe this kind of criticism will be taken constructively. Getting the boot here doesn't mean you're gone forever, just that you'll need to behave in a different way. This is the best place in the world for Flight jacket related input and would be a shame if Platon could not utilize it and learn from the whole experience.

Not a peep out of him since banned, so I'd say the bravado, or rather, personality conflict thing has been at rest until today.

Nickb123

I imagine that once broken in, the Kelso will get there or close to it. But the GW looks a bit more organic/fluid with its drape. Both colors look dynamic and fantastic. Congrats Jeff M. Between the jackets and the door, there's enough grain on that porch to keep 50 children healthy for a year.

Not piling on, but taking the whole "Authenticity" component out of the decision and just looking at it as a jacket...the GW is far superior. Pocket spacing, sleeves, and fit thru the body on the BK just look.....off.