• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 Years Ago Today...

Smithy

The USS Belleau Wood on fire after being hit by a Japanese kamikaze 75 years ago today.

75603409_2757661994245044_8195038368044679168_n.jpg

Smithy

The fire from the crashed kamikaze ignited ammunition in the stern section and I think this photo might very well capture the moment that the ammo went up. Pretty dramatic.

Lorenzo_l

And to think those WWII aircraft carriers had top decks made out of teak wood. And that there were munition depots bellow decks. It's no wonder things blew up an burned when those kamikaze planes hit..

YoungMedic

After some reading I am amazed this ship made it into repairs and eventually was retired. Also of note is another ship hit by kamikaze USS Jackson issuing smoke in the right of picture

Smithy

After some reading I am amazed this ship made it into repairs and eventually was retired. Also of note is another ship hit by kamikaze USS Jackson issuing smoke in the right of picture

Yeah it was really incredible, you wouldn't be surprised if she'd sunk after taking damage like that. Tragically 92 men were lost because of this. It's a sobering photo but an extraordinary one too.

Smithy

November 2, 75 years ago today...

Hurtgen.jpg

28th Infantry Division men advance through the Hürtgen Forest in Germany on November 2 1944. As I'm sure most of the guys on here know, Hürtgen Forest was not a very nice place.

Smithy

"Imshi!"

British anti-tank gunners are held up by a camel not far from Petra, Jordan 7 November 1944.

large_E_030028.jpg