• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

417th Night Ftr Sqd emblem question..................

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello members , I have seen two different emblem designs for this unit and am wondering if anyone of the forum would have photos of "original" patches and or "unit signs" that show this emblem to good effect ?

The designs were as follows, design 1, round background with the Cartoon character of "Alley Oop" wearing turtle shell helmet running across clouds and he's holding a flashlight in one hand and a battle club in the other , there's a cloud above him and stars and a crescent moon in the sky background .

Design 2, round background with a pilot and crewman sitting on/riding a broom, the "pilot" is wearing a hat with buckle/band, and is holding an old fashion pistol in one hand and grasping broom handle with other , the "backseater" or radar operator is waering a Magician's turban and holding a crystal ball in his lap, he's sitting crossed legged on the broom, the sky has stars and crescent moon in it.

Now does anyone know the when's of these designs ,I know they're ww-2 , but was one or the other used at different times or for different aircraft etc, and these are the two I'm looking for "period" photos of them in "patch" use or at least on a base/unit sign if possible .......................................

Thank you all for your time and hopefully some replies , have agreat day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny/emblemhunter

dujardin

you speak of this one

417thNFSunofficial3.jpg

this is the only data i have in my file, what i can be read on the back

417thNFSunofficial1jpg.jpg

417thNFSunofficial2.png

;)

EMBLEMHUNTER

hey Marcel , yes that is one of the two designs , thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to find out when each type was used and if ever made into patches and worn or just "proposed" designs and that was a far as they went with them .

Also the two guys riding the broom design, was this when they flew one or other types of aircraft or just a design change ????????????

Thanks again Marcel for the images they are both GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

What I have been told by another knwoledgeable WW2 emblem researcher is that the "Broom" riding duo of the 417th design was a "post war" used emblem , not 100% possitively proven but leaning that way .

Just wanted to add that here so the members can put it into thier files ................................
Johnny

Hey Marcel , if you would please post the image I sent you of the two guys on the broom , this is the "post war" version...............

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thanks Marcel, this way all the forum members can now view the 2 main designs and the "variations' of the "Alley Oop" types !!!!!!!!!
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

Just finished making a the "Alley Oop" version for a man who's realative was in the Squadron , it's the one in Marcel's posting smaller top photo .
Johnny