• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zip's tape end repair

Smithy

As the others have said you need a strong glue which is flexible. If it was me, I'd pick up some Stormsure, it's clear, flexible, strong and it's easily found here in Scandinavia, so might be also fairly easy to buy in Russia Dmitry.

Flightengineer

As the others have said you need a strong glue which is flexible. If it was me, I'd pick up some Stormsure, it's clear, flexible, strong and it's easily found here in Scandinavia, so might be also fairly easy to buy in Russia Dmitry.

Thanks Tim. Yes, if my friend for some reason forgets the glue recommended by Vic, I'll buy any fabric glue here, I think I'll find something similar.
I have all winter ahead and half spring too :)

Smithy

Thanks Tim. Yes, if my friend for some reason forgets the glue recommended by Vic, I'll buy any fabric glue here, I think I'll find something similar.
I have all winter ahead and half spring too :)

Some fabric glue can be a bit weak so do a bit of hunting around. Stormsure is available here from a lot of outdoor and camping shops Dmitry as people use it to repair tents and other outdoor equipment so probably worth having a poke around the shops where you live.

Flightengineer

Some fabric glue can be a bit weak so do a bit of hunting around. Stormsure is available here from a lot of outdoor and camping shops Dmitry as people use it to repair tents and other outdoor equipment so probably worth having a poke around the shops where you live.

This is a good idea! I completely forgot that my son was engaged in tourism before he made me a grandfather quite early :) ... I'll ask him, he is definitely connected with tents and other things.

Smithy

Here it is Dmitry and a quick Google search using the site:.ru code showed that it's available in Russia ;-)

95611452_max.jpg

Flightengineer

Glue from US and my American friend didn't come to Russia cause of the covid situation. However, I found here in local store good glue for leather and fabric and finally repaired the tape. Now it's is solid, reliable and completely imperceptible that glue was applied.
And it's flexible. The fibers of the fabric absorbed the glue and remained flexible.
Many thanks to all members for their advices here.
It's very good that I didn't use cyanoacrylate based glue (super glues), it would destroy the zipper tape.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Great idea Dmitry!!
Thanks for the suggestion .
What type of glue should we use?
You mentioned that it’s available here in the US.

Flightengineer

Great idea Dmitry!!
Thanks for the suggestion .
What type of glue should we use?
You mentioned that it’s available here in the US.

Burt, my american friend bought for me the glue that Vic advised - Aleene's Leather & Suede Glue.

s-l1600.png

But, as I said, he couldn't fly to Moscow as he planed before cause the borders are closed due to the pandemic.
So I used "Glue for leather and suede", this is the glue of the German concern Henkel, which is produced under license in Russia. It's unlikely that this glue sell in the US.

852553_1.jpg

Flightengineer

Thanks for the information. Below is the Amazon link.
Do you have any application tips or tricks. I got an Aero 1756 that has been out of service for some time now. I'd love to be able to wear it again.
Regards,

No special tricks. I applied it in a thin layer directly with my finger to feel the problem fibers (wearing latex gloves, of course). When the glue dried a little, but not completely dry, I strongly squeezed the place where the problem was and left it to dry completely. That's all.
Once again want to say that I didn't use Aleene's glue, but domestic analog.

Brent

20140825_071802.jpg

This is what I'll be working with. Hope it comes out half as good as your. I'll post results when the work is completed. Thanks again.
Regards,

Silver Surfer

a real thin glued cloth backing at the starter might work. gotta be careful not to lap the cloth on the metal pin, just on the tape. let the glue saturate to the front side of the cloth, so that the whole area of the separation has glue in it......not for the feint of heart, and if it works, using the zipper must be done with care.

Brent

I just wanted to update quickly. The adhesive arrived over the weekend. So I'm looking forward to giving this a go. However after four days and nineteen hours in the hospital, I am worn out. Maybe by weeks end I'll get after it.
Thanks to all for the encouragement, this is the best group.

Regards,

Brent

20201011_082731.jpg

Just thought I'd post my fail. Not enough of anything to hang on to. Tried to spread the thing out a bit but nothing there. Well off to Mr. Sellers for a replacement zip. Thanks again to everyone try help. Always worth a shot.

Regards,

Clark J

You can also try using a blade screwdriver and pry open the one side of the zip pull it has worked for me when trying to fix the same problem.

Brent

Thanks for the advice. I can pry it apart but there just doesn't seem to be anything to attach back to. It was fun to try this this though.. Really at this point replacement is the best long term solution for me.

Regards,