• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zip's tape end repair

Flightengineer

I apologize cause this issue has probably been discussed previously.
This is the inside of the Talon zipper tape on A-2 showing wear.

Is there a solution how to fix this?

On my many M-51s and M65s jackets, I simply worked these places with superglue (cyanocrylate) and they became tough and durable. Maybe here I will do the same preventive efforts, untill the wear is not became critical yet.

But first I would like to hear the opinion of members, maybe there are other solutions and ways to strengthen this place on tape.

Thanks in advance.

B-Man2

Hi Dimitry..
I have heard both good and bad reports on the use of superglue to strengthen the zip tape in that location . Initially I heard that it strengthens that area, but then I heard reports that in time and with constant use, the glue caused the tape fibers to crack and weaken even faster than they would have if nothing had been done. So that’s all I know about it but like you, I would be interested in learning more about a fix for this problem as I have jackets with the same issue .
Cheers

Silver Surfer

i use amy's leather glue. it is intended for leather, but works super well with cloth. amys is flexible and waterproof, and will penetrate the cloth fibers. be sure that the glue in not higher then the cloth by squishing it down into the fibers, or the starter pin will not go easily into the box, and thus cause further stress on the fragile cloth area. stopping a zipper starter pin issue is a smart move, as it will only become more frayed, and eventually separate.

Flightengineer

i use amy's leather glue. it is intended for leather, but works super well with cloth. amys is flexible and waterproof, and will penetrate the cloth fibers. be sure that the glue in not higher then the cloth by squishing it down into the fibers, or the starter pin will not go easily into the box, and thus cause further stress on the fragile cloth area. stopping a zipper starter pin issue is a smart move, as it will only become more frayed, and eventually separate.

Could you describe this glue in more detail please?
I'm not sure that I'll buy the same here in Europe, but maybe I'll find an analogue.
Thanks.

Flightengineer

i get it on greedbay. i believe it is called amy's leather glue, and comes in a white plastic container. it is a whitish viscous liquid, that drys clear if not over used.

This ?

s-l1600.jpg

Flightengineer

duh, my bad. of course, thats the stuff, aleen's [not amys]. so sorry for the confusion, i had a case of amys on the brain.....yikes.

Many thanks, my old friend will fly from Ohio in a month, I'll ask him to bring me this glue.
Now until April there will be no weather for the A-2 here so repair can wait.
Thanks again.

RB25

I tried superglue and it didn’t work, it dried to stiff and made it worse. It was a tiny dab and it didn’t work for me. The zip was pretty much shot so it was worth a try. Good to know there is another alternative that’s been tested with good results.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

the aleens glue will not work on tape that is too far gone, rotted and separated. nothing will. i know, ive tried. however, if ya catch the fray, or beginning of the separation, you will get some more life out of the zipper. it works because it is absorbed into the cloth fibers, and it is flexible, thus, will not get stiff and crack.

RB25

Looks like I’ll be adding this to the small arsenal of items I’ve accumulated to keep the jackets functional.

Silver Surfer

btw, gentlemen, on some occasions you will be able to repair tape separating for the teeth, or is that teeth separating from the tape???? anyhoo, using a very thin piece of cloth [like a-2 liner weight] and cutting it so that it fits under the liner over lap, and abuts against the the base of the teeth, and peel back the liner over lap [can be held in place with clothes pins or small clamps], using aleens, ya apply the glue to the piece of repair cloth and squish it to the tape. press on it for 5 minutes while removing and excess glue. once again, it is important that you have clearance for the zipper to glide up and down. a dry run first is recommended. also, apply the repair on the back of the zipper tape if possible, so that it is not seen.