• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zippered hood on B-11 parka ?

bombs away

Hello,

I've always thought that B-11 parkas with zippered hood (sorry if the expression isn't correct :oops: ) were postwar civilian parkas, but this picture is a real problem to me...

look at the officer on the right :

14889890793_4906d7dc43_c_d.jpg

14867555154_3250fd9c44_b_d.jpg

Any idea gents ?

Tim

foster

I have some original canvas GI leggings that had zippers added to them. Looks to be a wartime mod, using vintage zippers and all...
I have also heard of the same being done to paratrooper boots.
It's not beyond the scope of plausibility. But there's not going to be much evidence in the way of documentation.

a2jacketpatches

foster said:
I have some original canvas GI leggings that had zippers added to them. Looks to be a wartime mod, using vintage zippers and all...
I have also heard of the same being done to paratrooper boots.
It's not beyond the scope of plausibility. But there's not going to be much evidence in the way of documentation.

Yup, and I had a nice Ike with a German Zipper added years ago

havocpaul

Not an unusual adaptation by officers of any nation at the time, British officers would add zips to all sorts of kit, battledress, boots etc and Denison smocks were often changed to full-length zips. I would guess this parka's zip to have been a private, personal addition by the officer as one would expect to have seen some documentation over the years if it had been an official addition on B-9 or B-11's...then again...

Peter Graham

Tim, look again. It's not a B-11, nor a B-9. There are no epaulettes nor mouton lining. It's lined with some fleece material. Notice also the snap on the hood and most telling of all, the belt loops. I don't know what it is but I know what it's not, and that's an AAF parka.

TankBuster

Peter Graham said:
Tim, look again. It's not a B-11, nor a B-9. There are no epaulettes nor mouton lining. It's lined with some fleece material. Notice also the snap on the hood and most telling of all, the belt loops. I don't know what it is but I know what it's not, and that's an AAF parka.

Peter is exactly right. It must be some kind of private purchase jacket.