• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper tape repair

asiamiles

There's a small hole in the zipper tape of my Buzz B-2. It zips up fine and may continue to do so, but I don't want the tear in the tape to get any worse. Can anyone suggest a method of halting the deterioration? It may be too small to stitch? Possibly a dab of glue ensuring, of course, it doesn't touch the teeth? Any other thoughts? It's hidden, so looks are not important.
hookless.jpg

MikeyB-17

It always strikes me that once zip tape starts to go, the only alternative is a new zip-every time I've had one start to fray (usually at the bottom on the male side where it gets all the wear), nothing I've done has been able to save it. That having been said, it looks like you might have enough intact tape round the edge of that hole to put a small patch over it-a similar sort of material and some careful stitching could do the trick.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Alternatively ... wet the damaged area, and with an artists brush, train the fibres back into a tidy position. While still damp, brush the the area with a dilute water based adhesive like PVA wood glue. Cover with a small piece of cloth, and clamp flat ... a bulldog clip should work. In the morning, remove the clamp, and the cloth will peel off.

The tape will be stiffer at the repair, and flat ... it won't fray, and the slider will no longer catch on it.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Alternatively ... wet the damaged area, and with an artists brush, train the fibres back into a tidy position. While still damp, brush the the area with a dilute water based adhesive like PVA wood glue. Cover with a small piece of cloth, and clamp flat ... a bulldog clip should work. In the morning, remove the clamp, and the cloth will peel off.

The tape will be stiffer at the repair, and flat ... it won't fray, and the slider will no longer catch on it.

Thanks. Sounds like quite a daunting job for someone like me!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Thanks. Sounds like quite a daunting job for someone like me!

Yes, I was wondering about that whilst posting, and remembering the oxidised snaps. :p

The nail varnish will work, though you will still need to tidy up the damaged area, and flatten it .... a wee brush is an easy way to do it.

Chris217

I don't know if this really works or not to help prevent fraying at the bottom of the tape, but I was told years ago that putting something like vasoline on the bottom of the cotton tape would help prevent the fraying process. All the jackets I've bought with NOS Talons I've done this with, and have yet to have had a fraying problem.

Anybody else heard of this method?

A

Anonymous

Try this on another zip to see if it works ,cut a similar tear in the zip .Then cut 2 strips of gauze bandage one for either side .Then lay them in place about the tear and squeeze super glue on them .when dry it sould be quite strong as the glue is held in place by the gauze sort of a glue sandwich.I know when I get super glue on clothes it impossible to get out because it goes into the fibres.

All the best Jeff

ghq1

What I've done with good success is to use some KEVLAR thread . . .and wrap one strand of it between each brass tooth . .then lock it down with super glue . . . You still have tons of maneuverability . . .without the cracking or stiffness of just glue alone . . .

I bought my thread on Ebay in various gauges No 12, 16 and 20 and can fix just about anything with it . .