• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper source

Does anyone have a source for Talon zippers? I am working on a project and need a few, but much shorter lengths than for a jacket. Thanks for any help!

robrinay

Does anyone have a source for Talon zippers? I am working on a project and need a few, but much shorter lengths than for a jacket. Thanks for any help!
Search eBay for the seller boat5000
He has a wide range of reproduction zippers including Talon. I’m not sure of the quality but you could ‘buy and try’ Regarding length you can shorten a zipper by moving the stoppers down after removing a few teeth above the length you require and cutting off the excess tape and sewing the cut edge or by curving the zipper tape into the seam and sewing across the tape at the top of the length you need.

Dany McDonald

What specifically are you looking for? Original/Repro, 1930's-40's-50's separating or not?

I've been looking for zip's on ebay and the web lately and may be able to point you toward the right direction...

Dany

What specifically are you looking for? Original/Repro, 1930's-40's-50's separating or not?

I've been looking for zip's on ebay and the web lately and may be able to point you toward the right direction...

Dany
Ok, so I’m working on an ambitious project, but I’m going to try and take a pair of LLBean duck boots and turn them into Ww2 A-6 flight boots. I’m fairly new at sewing so there’s going to be major struggles, but I order to have a wearable pair I really have no choice. The LLBeans already have a zipper, it’s just a more modern one.
B911A654-D429-47A8-AA00-C5D8BD5D1A8F.jpeg
C8E997BF-EBB0-4BFA-88A1-C3ECF34AF312.png

Dany McDonald

Hi,

Ebay is your best bet, as there are a lot of vintage zip similar to the one's on the original A-6 boots.

So search with keywords like Vintage talon, conmar, scovill, kwik... or 1950's zippers or lot of vintage zippers...

See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Vinta...000602?hash=item366de5a55a:g:tVAAAOSw4nVfd78N

Or you could work from a pair of vintage RCAF over boots. I see them on Kiji.ca and ebay from time to time. They are not that hard to find, they were issued from the 40's right up to the 80's...

275.jpg

Hope this helps,

Dany

Silver Surfer

stay with modern zippers, since your intended use is for boots, and you want zippers that will take abeating, be somewhat impervious to snow, mud, and that zipper killer, salt. when ya get you stitching chops, ya may want to give it a whirl with vintage zipper, boots, and who the hell knows what else. I kinda wish that I took home ec when I was a kid, so that I would know my way around a sewing machine...but in those days,, boys took shop and girls took home ec. damn gender-centric schooling.

ausreenactor

It puzzles me that nobody has ever tried to knock these out again. I think I made a similar comment 20 years ago...

Good luck with it.

Hi,

Ebay is your best bet, as there are a lot of vintage zip similar to the one's on the original A-6 boots.

So search with keywords like Vintage talon, conmar, scovill, kwik... or 1950's zippers or lot of vintage zippers...

See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Vinta...000602?hash=item366de5a55a:g:tVAAAOSw4nVfd78N

Or you could work from a pair of vintage RCAF over boots. I see them on Kiji.ca and ebay from time to time. They are not that hard to find, they were issued from the 40's right up to the 80's...

View attachment 46812

Hope this helps,

Dany
I will definitely keep an eye out for these, that would definitely fit the bill and need very little modifications.

stay with modern zippers, since your intended use is for boots, and you want zippers that will take abeating, be somewhat impervious to snow, mud, and that zipper killer, salt. when ya get you stitching chops, ya may want to give it a whirl with vintage zipper, boots, and who the hell knows what else. I kinda wish that I took home ec when I was a kid, so that I would know my way around a sewing machine...but in those days,, boys took shop and girls took home ec. damn gender-centric schooling.
Yes, I plan on using a modern repro zipper, I won’t use these boots for actual winter use, I just want a pair of useable boots to use for reenacting. Because of that hobby I have learned the basics of hand sewing, but definitely have a learning curve for this project.

Wedge417

if only. No it's an old repro. Not top quality or anything, but I'd still like the zipper replaced.