Zipper repros and/or NOS availability...

Discussion in 'Repros' started by Dany McDonald, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hello,

Waiting for A. Pritzker & Sons WWII 55J14 (AER) that needs a Conmar zipper slider.

Beside MASH Japan, where can one get some parts for zippers?

Sorry for the neophyte question...

Regards,

Pritzker 55J14 (AER).jpg

Dany

2. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

You'll have to replace the whole #5 slider. If originality is important, and I see that as logical on a WWII jacket, search for an original slider. Guys have them around.
    Dave

3. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hello Dave,

I keep looking on ebay, for very distressed jackets with correct zips. But it's very rare.

Thank you for the info I will try here.

Dany

4. stanier

stanier Well-Known Member

It might be worth putting a wtb here, and / or try one of the Facebook etc groups with a request. Most folk are really friendly and would be happy to help you get sorted if they can. I suspect you might find you get what you need quicker than you might imagine.

Cheers

Chris

5. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hi Chris,

That's pretty much what this post is turning into ;-)

Thanks for the advise!

Dany

6. robrinay

robrinay Active Member

I bought a complete Conmar on eBay recently from a seller called
    izavailable

But she only seems to have Talons listed at the moment - might be worth messaging her?

Steve27752 likes this.
  7. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hi,

Yeah Talons only, but interesting.

Thanks.

Dany

8. Obscurator

Obscurator Member

I hope this is considered "on topic", but does anyone know how to, or has experience of, buying zips and/or fittings from Waldes in Japan?
    http://www.waldes.co.jp/

I think they have some things that I need, but how to order and purchase seems rather vague. I can of course contact them, but a bit of information ahead of doing so would be useful.

9. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

That is Stephen Silburn of Sefton clothing. If you have almost any WW11 or similar items, flying helmets , goggles etc he can fix/restore them to as good as new. izavailable is Stephens wife.

robrinay likes this.
  10. chamboid

chamboid Member

I have one I think. Solid brass of a old pair of blue light trousers. You could paint it black.

11. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hello Chamboid,

Thank you for the offer. I am still waiting for the jacket to arrive (days). Then I will be able to inspect the slider and compare with yours? How does that sounds?

Regards,

Dany

12. Juanito

Juanito Active Member

You might try Diamond Dave of Diamond Leather Clothing or even JC of Goodwear, they both use Waldes zipper, Dave perhaps exclusively. I have jackets from each of them equipped with Waldes zippers and thew work just fine.

13. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hi Juanito,

For the moment I trying to avoid changing the entire zipper. The puller on the slider is defective and an easy fix provided I can find a slider.

Thank you,

Dany

14. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hello Chamboid,

I finally bought a USAF flight suit dated 1958 with like 9 Conmar zippers. At first look they appears similar if not the exact same.

Anyways, thank you for your offer.

And for the record: I wrote WWII 55J14 (AER)... I was lazy and copied the info from ebay... Of course, 55J14 were from 1947 to 1952, no WWII here....feel naked in a crowd...

Dany

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  15. airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc Well-Known Member

16. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

Hello airfrogusmc,

Like I mentioned, I now have all the sliders I need (around 1958 model), with the flight suit. But I have a Monarch waiting for a full resto that will need the entire zipper.

Thank you,

D

17. airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc Well-Known Member

doesn't mash have entire zippers? I have bought several NOS WWII zippers from them over the years. I don't know anyone else that has the selection they do. Maybe greed-bay and wait until one comes up?

18. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Member

For that specific job I needed the slider only, not the entire zipper. Actually the puller was missing from the slider that was ok.

I managed to retrofit the slider with a Comnar from that 1958 suit. It's almost identical and will do the job.

D