• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper replacement concerns

Hunter57

I have an ANJ-4 from Lost Worlds, which has served very well indeed. However, today I've noticed that the zipper's bottom insert has started to separate from the zipper tape. At the rate it's going, I'm afraid it will fail completely in a short time. I'd like to get the zipper replaced, and as the jacket is only two or three years old I'm sure Stuart would do so. Can anyone speak to any issues about the repro Talons his jackets use?

John Lever

Hunter57 said:
I have an ANJ-4 from Lost Worlds, which has served very well indeed. However, today I've noticed that the zipper's bottom insert has started to separate from the zipper tape. At the rate it's going, I'm afraid it will fail completely in a short time. I'd like to get the zipper replaced, and as the jacket is only two or three years old I'm sure Stuart would do so. Can anyone speak to any issues about the repro Talons his jackets use?

Mine did the same after a couple of days just trying on in the house.
My advice send it to Eastman for a Crown or one of their Talons. They are strong zips and I have a jacket with a ten year old zip that's still works good as new.

T-Bolt

John Lever said:
Hunter57 said:

Mine did the same after a couple of days just trying on in the house.
My advice send it to Eastman for a Crown or one of their Talons. They are strong zips and I have a jacket with a ten year old zip that's still works good as new.

John,

Would Eastman put one of their Crown zippers in a jacket that they did not produce? I am not sure about that.

Ted

John Lever

Ted,
You are probably right there, good point.
I would still ask them for a replacement though as their zips are very solid.
HPA obtained a Hookless for me from Buzz R. when I bought my B-2 as I was doubtful about he life expectancy of the zip at the time, so big companies will help you out.

Roughwear

Several members here including myself have not been able to buy a Crown from ELC. Gary wont sell them separately I'm afraid.

better duck

Roughwear said:
Several members here including myself have not been able to buy a Crown from ELC. Gary wont sell them separately I'm afraid.
No, not sell them seperately, maybe because he is afraid of them being offered as vintage Crowns on the internet; but would he sew an ELC Crown in a LW or BR - or GW for that matter, by them time their zippers need to be replaced - that's another matter. I guess you just have to ask Gary (or Alan) in person.

Roughwear

better duck said:
Roughwear said:
No, no sell them seperately, maybe because he is afraid of them being offered as vintage Crowns on the internet; but would he sew an ELC Crown in a LW or BR - or GW for that matter, by them time their zippers need to be replaced - that's another matter. I guess you just have to ask Gary (or Alan) in person.

Peter, this makes sense I guess.

Hunter57

I'll send off an email to Eastman shortly. I like the idea of the repro Crowns, and hopefully they'll be willing to do so.
Thanks to everyone who responded. I've always found this group most helpful whenever I've needed answers.

Hunter57

OK, gentlemen, the official word is that the repro Crowns are reserved for Eastman products. I'm not surprised and can certainly understand their position.

How about the NOS Talons from Mash Japan? How do I go about ordering one of those?

Any other suggestions as to what, and who to do the repair?