• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper replacement by ELC?

shiloh

Hello Fellow members,

A while ago I bought an ELC russet steerhide A-2 jacket. I think it's about 20 years old. The leather and lining are in very good condition. Great colour too. I assume for some reason the jacket hasn't been worn much by the former owner. The cuffs and waistband, however, have been badly damaged/eaten by the moth. Also, the jacket has an ugly looking brass colour repro Talon zipper (as you see often on earlier Sefton A-2 jackets). I mailed to Gary from ELC. He can do the replacement of the cuffs, waistband and zipper (ofcourse a Crown zipper) but it will cost me about 165 GBP incl. postage back to Holland. A lot of money. But...........the jacket fits like a glove and I really would like to have the job done and wear it.

My question is. Anybody out there with any experience regarding zipper replacements by ELC? As I don't like the thought of a double row stitching holes in the frontpanels of my jacket. Do they use the old stitching holes??

Hope anyone can help me out.

Thanks and regards,

Shiloh

9thinfdiv

Had the zipper replaced by them on my RW. Couldn't tell the difference. They hit all of the original holes.

DJS48

I had lining , cuffs, waistband and ZIP replaced on an old ELC house A-2. They did a fine job all around. No worries.
Don

Chandler

Has anyone else seen an ELC with a brass zipper? I'm pretty sure they've only ever used nickel zips, makes me think Shiloh's jacket has already had a zipper replacement -- or it's not an ELC.

Chandler

rich

Chandler, I have an ELC with a brass zipper - it's quite old though, around 15 years or so. It's marked as a Talon - I could easily be wrong on this but I think they might have used NOS Talons back then. Is there any way of telling?

Chandler

My 1401 is about the same vintage as yours and has a NOS nickel Talon. If I recall the ELC adverts of the day, they were using the Talons on everything. I have, or have had, 3 ELC A-2s and seen many more -- never seen a brass zip on any of them.

Postscript: Just looking over the repro evaluations at Acme Depot -- all the ELC A-2s and the M422a have nickel zips of some sort. Interesting though, that the Aeros have brass zips as does one McCoy's from NZ. All of the evals are 6 years or older.

Chandler

rich

I could well be wrong - wish I still had the original brochures with all the leather swatches! - but I think they offered a choice of brass or nickel? Here's a pic- is this a repro or NOS though? I have no idea.....

talon.jpg

Chandler

rich said:
Here's a pic- is this a repro or NOS though? I have no idea.....

I've got all those old brochures buried somewhere in a storage unit, doubt I can really find them easily. Don't remember the choice on A-2s other than NOS or repro. Maybe yours is a repro and they were nickel plated to begin with -- and that's worn off with time? Don't know -- but see my postscript above too.

Did you buy yours direct or used? According to Acme the B-10 had a brass zip, maybe the original owner of yours (if it wasn't you) asked for the brass?

Maybe we ought to e-mail Gary for the final say?

Chandler

rich

At least you kept the brochures Chandler! The A2 in the picture was new, the first Eastman I bought. High time it went for a refurb though, the liner is shot and the knits are in a bad way now. Looks as if I might lose that zip too, the male end is well on the way to parting company with the tape .... the leather's good though!

Chandler

Is it a "house" label, or one of the direct copies (RW, Star)?

Yeah, I keep everything -- ask my girlfriend (who can't figure out all the A-2s).

Chandler

rich

It's a 'house', I don't think they did any other kind then? The collar and pocket snaps always lacked bite and the cut is much looser than my more recent Pearl Harbour. Good idea to keep stuff if you've got the room............... my recent splurge on nylon
is raising eyebrows, they'll never figure us out.

Chandler

rich said:
It's a 'house', I don't think they did any other kind then?

Depends on "then." As said, my RW 1401 (maybe the first original contract ELC made?) is about the same vintage as yours -- pretty sure I received it in April of 1994 (but it could have been 1993). Gawd -- that seems so long ago when its put down in writing!

Chandler

rich

"You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you........."

I know what you mean, I try not to think about it too much! :? :?

MikeyB-17

I've still got my catalogue, leather samples and all, in the envelope it came in, postmarked August '97. I bought my A-2 in November that year, and I went to the factory in Ivybridge to be measured for it, and to pick it up. I know they were offering brass Talons then, in fact I remember making the decision to have a nickel one, as it looked more authentic. The catalogue also shows pictures of A-2's with brass Talons, and I'm fairly sure my mate, who had one a few years before me, had a brass one on his. My Golden Book is the first version, dated 1998, and in there they're only offering nickel Talons. I recently Emailed Gary to enquire about a complete reline, reknit and new Crown zip-he quoted me £200, which is £35 cheaper that having the jobs done individually apparently. He also said they've got a bit of a backlog on repairs, and it might be an idea to hang fire 'til 'the Spring' to give them a chance to catch up.

rich

Do you know if the £200 you mention is a going rate Mike? Thanks for the info, I've been thinking about getting this done for ages now.