• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper Lubrication

JOHNO

I doubt they even discuss this anymore but we were taught about zipper lubrication. Its done with either pencil lead or candle wax, neither is harmful to the zipper and both will lube a sticky zipper. Simply run the desired product up and down the edge of the zipper on both sides. Has anyone else heard of this or am I showing my age?

CBI

Yep - I think we all do this trick from the Good Old Days. I prefer the wax.

Jason

Yes, a wax stick works wonders. I kept on breaking zip pullers on my service boots doing them up in a hurry, until finally treated with a wax stick. Smooth as silk, and not broken a zip puller for three years now.

JOHNO

Thats exactly what prompted me to post this thread, I've read several posts where someone is breaking the zipper on their A2s. This is easily avoided with a little preventative maintenence.

Jaguar46

Are you saying just grab any candle, and rub it on the zipper? Or will any kind of paraffin wax work? The rationale behind the pencil is graphite is a good lubricant. It is used for locks, but to use it on a lock, you need the powdered form, that comes in a tube.

JOHNO

Yep, any candle or paraffin will work, pencil lead works too as would graphite but the graphite is messy and will smudge on the leather.

Vcruiser

I have a chunk of bee's wax that my wife brought home years ago from her work. It was used to wax thread before sewing. Does a great job on zippers.

Van

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
a2 fng said:
... on the teeth or puller?

I usually apply it to the pin, and to the teeth on the zipper tape. You can remove any surplus with an old tooth brush.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
I'd like to see a tutorial of this

Simply run a candle along the zipper teeth, and they'll pick up a little of the wax ... that's all there is.