• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper how do I question

Marv

How easy is it to change the zipper puller on a #10 brass slider on a G1.

Just picked up a cheap PHAAR brand G1 but it has the chunky YKK puller/slider and I want change the puller and replace it with the paper clip style so any advice on how to do this would be appreciated.

Roughwear

Marv it is an easy job to do. Just remove the stopper at the top of the zip with pliers. Pull the slider off. Put on the new slider and replace the stopper. You will need to open the stopper a little with a knife so it will fit back over the tape. Squeeze the front and back of the stopper with pliers and it should be done.

robrinay

No offence Andrew but here is a little more detail for a 'first timer' Use snipe nosed pliers but if you have an awl or similar spike use it to open the stopper first by gently inserting it between the legs of the stopper or each leg and the zipper tape depending on what type of stopper is used, as just pulling it off with pliers can sometimes damage the tape especially on older zips. A bit of gaffer tape wrapped around each of the jaws of the pliers will help to stop the stopper getting scratched but if it does get damaged you can always nick one from a similar zip on a throw away jacket or a cheap one from a charity/thrift shop. Finally you can use the same technique to replace missing zipper teeth. Steal the top ones and move the stoppers down as the top ones are not used and it's the lower ones that tend to go missing with wear.
Cheers
Rob

Roughwear

This is good advice when working on WW2 zips. I have moved stoppers many times with no damage. Sometimes its necessary to open up the stopper first with a sharp tool to avoid damaging the zip tape.

Marv

Thanks guys for the advice, I've a got a replacement puller/slider unit on the way and was thinking about having a go at just replacing the puller on the existing slider first of all if it is an easier job than replacing the whole unit.

robrinay

With respect replacing the whole slider unit is the easiest way - although the puller looks just like a paper clip it's much stiffer and will likely distort permanently if you try to wriggle it off puller - i've tried it and failed.

Marv

Well I've managed to change the zipper slider without too much trouble thanks to everyone's helpful advice, so thanks again all.

Marv

Here's the before and after photos - G1 is made by the 2004 - onwards USN contract supplier PHAAR......

Original chunky YKK zipper slider/puller unit

Replacement Paper Clip style zipper slider/puller unit

and some photos of the G1