• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper Help Please

Brent

Well I believe this is my first post here, though I've been reading along from the sidelines for some time now. This is my ALC "Unknown Maker" 1756 A-2. I love this jacket's color, feel of the hides, the sticking and the fit. Though its not a top of the line jacket, I'm not ready to part with it. Hoping to take advantage of the BK deal soon, but that is another story.

So what are my options on fixing the zipper? Send it back to Aero? Keep the Conmar or replace with a Talon of some kind? Any places in USA who can fix this that are trusted?

Regards,
Brent

[img ][/img]

20140825_071802.jpg
[/url][/img]

20140825_071735.jpg
[/url][/img]

[img ][/img]

Brent

I'm not sure why all the images aren't showing up? Sorry. Newb :roll: Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll try something else.

[img ][/img]

20140825_071735.jpg
[/url][/img]

Regards,
Brent

Silver Surfer

heya brent. can ya zip it up? if so, use it till ya cant. in the mean time you can contact aero, and they may very replace it for ya. prob is shipping costs to and from scotland. there are plenty of talon repro makers, some of whom are on greedbay. though not "authentic" per se, they will do just fine, and are cheap. find a tailor that will do it right, hitting the original stitch holes may be hard. many say they get it about hitting the stitch holes, but they then drink some kinda magic potion that makes them forget, and they screw the pooch. it can be done right. all it requires is patience, and attention to the work. oh, welcome to the abusement park.

Brent

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Kansas, bring on the Dorothy and Toto jokes now, so shipping to Aero going to be pricey but it's worth it if done right. I sure would like to keep the Conmar. Are there any available?

As to the question can I zip it up, yes. But what a pain and several minutes of work. Actually look pretty stupid fiddling with a zipper that long. Kind of like, "ever use a zipper before?" :roll: I understand the possibility of double sticking with total zipper replacement. I was hoping just maybe there was some patch job or something could be done. Though total replacement isn't a big surprise either.

Regards,
Brent

Silver Surfer

sometimes, and only sometimes, you can use clear epoxy glue to glue the the starter side to the tape where it is separated. this is tricky because you have to be sure that there is no excess glue making a ridge that the puller will not slide over. both sides have to be clamped together without over lapping, and this has to be done without gluing the clamp to the zipper run. a common wood clothes line pin [like for hanging clothes on a clothes line] works pretty well. do a dry run a coupla times to see what this entails. keep the zipper clamped until totally dry or it will come apart and then can not be reglued. this kinda repair is not for the feint of heart, but the zipper side is shot anyhow, and ya just might bring it off. ive done it. sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. whats to lose? a little time, a clothes pin, and the price of some epoxy glue. fortune favors the brave, hahahaha. as they say in the line up, "goferit".