• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zip question about the G-1 7823D, Martin Lane Co contract.

rob20uk

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question to see if you guys can help shed some light on this.

I just purchased a US Navy G-1 7823D - 1969 model from the Martin Lane Co. It has had its knits and collar replaced (they look like a good match with the originals). The only thing that is bugging me is that it has a Talon zipper with a rectangular brass pull. From looking at pictures online it looks like most of the Martin Lane G-1 7823D had Scovil zips with that military folded paperclip style zip.

So first question, is the Talon zipper correct?

My second question, does anyone know where I could get one of those fantastic looking military folded paperclip style zips? The Mil-spec. original NOS 60s Scovill zips on the reproduction that Eastman do of this jacket look amazing and ideally those are what I would like to have for this jacket. Unfortunately they will not part with one and when looking on Mash they don't seem to sell the ones for the G-1. If anyone has one I would love to know.

eBay pics included.

Thanks in advance for sharing any knowledge you have on this.

R

9wJbKs2.png

7CW5MR7.png

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi @rob20uk
The talon zipper that is currently on your jacket was used on some A series from the 7823, the correct should be the paperclip, but the brass one, not the blackened. Here is a pic of a NOS Martin Lane I had with the original SCOVILL zipper.
Cheers

Jorge

35B1CC04-9891-40A1-84B1-9C2E13DE95A2.jpeg
93EA6C4E-0E36-449C-B7FA-E190CA02D3FA.jpeg

Greg Gale

Sorry for hijacking, but if someone could measure the knit length on an original in the middle of the back I’d be grateful.