• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Youtube video - why older men shouldn't wear leather jackets!

Centaurus3200

Yeah, the no baggier than 501 thing is definitely personal preference. I'm aware the period cut of trousers and jeans back then was as roomy as a tent. Haha!

The "look" was fairly trim shirts contrasted against baggy trousers. Personally not my thing... BUT you are still adhering to the primary rule. When wearing a quality leather jacket, DRESS WITH ATTITUDE!

Basically you shouldn't dress in dockers, light blue button up and Rockports and think your G-1 is gonna make you look manly. You've just emasculated the jacket's superpowers.

I know, now I'M giving fashion advice, but at least i provide reasoning.

I agreed with nearly everything you said, Centaurus, but here I beg to differ:
View attachment 44907
I don’t think “just wear otherwise unremarkable clothing” is the magic bullet you think it is. Sometimes vintage-style clothing suits a vintage jacket better than modern clothing - see the recent thread about Hartmann jackets and high vs low waisted trousers. Wear things that go with the leather jacket, and wear them with conviction.

ButteMT61

Not worth it Scott, and remember we might be uncool but a vast amount of young people are daft - it's all the hormones racing around, they can't think straight. I know this for a fact because I was silly as a two bob watch at that age!

I know. Just seeing it in a video by those two who frankly look as cool as the kids in band did makes me LOL as well. I mean, I can't wait for these gen's to get older and see what assholes they were as it's all on video for eternity!

CBI

yes, little s**ts but kinda funny. They are not totally off base though. However, just wear whatever and who cares. She suggest suede and lighter color browns, not THAT is an OLD look............yuck!

B-Man2

I hate to say it as I imagine most here are middle aged at best, slightly older than that otherwise but...

Most young girls and men will think we're inherently uncool mostly because of our age rather than what we wear, although I imagine it probably doesn't help.

Since time immemorial the youngsters for the most part think those at least twice their age are a bunch of uncool, old farts. That's just how life is. Do I give shit? Not in the slightest but I'm bemused by those rallying against this so much.

We're old, uncool (to the kids) jacket nerds, who cares ;-)
Tim
I couldn’t disagree with you more . As an old person I feel that I am more fashion conscious at this point of my life, than I was in my younger days of blue jeans and t shirts . As a matter of fact, I strive to make a fashion statement anytime I go out with my wife to a restaurant or a social function. I hope this leaves no doubt in your mind that being old does not diminish ones sense of fashion. ;)
F60A74F0-F7B4-4CE3-85BD-CB0EE64DD010.jpeg

Centaurus3200

This photo is literally on Ashley Weston's site. This is how she thinks men should wear a leather jacket.

It doesn't look bad, but I've never seen a tie and leather jacket working, unless you were in khakis on a fricken naval ship.

Again, it's neutering the masculinity of the leather jacket. I think there's a happy medium. Yeah, Most of us can't pull off Marlon Brando and his Durable (not Schott) double rider in The wild one. We shouldn't. He was still in his 20s when he made that movie.

But i just can't get down going GQ with a sweater and a tie either.

That's why she made the comment that older men could wear a suede Harrington. Well, that's basically a "de-balled" leather jacket. I have a vintage Ian Mankin G9 variant. I know. I invariably go for a Ledbury button up shirt and Barker chukkas when i wear that thing.

leather-jackets-clotheshorse.jpg

ButteMT61

I bet most here have way more confidence (well, did) than when younger. I know I've always spent money on clothing, but the last 10 years have been insane. I never get any negative comments, so either they do it behind my back, or these two aren't a good rep of most younger folks. It's a lot in your attitude...I know at times I don't feel it and therefore don't wear it. If you're not a bit cocky, do something less edgy and dodge the ire of the "social influencers" who will likely never work a day in their lives :p

Smithy

The biggest thing with me with age is I genuinely don't give a shit what people I don't know think about me. When I was younger I used to worry about nonsense like that - I suppose that's all part of that psychological stuff about young people wanting to be accepted and liked. But now I care what my family and my closest friends think but I really don't give a flying firetruck what somebody I don't know from a bar of soap thinks about me. Joys of getting older!

Centaurus3200

So true! I dressed like a homeless person for most of my 20s. It was the 90s to early 2000s. Worn out jeans, some obscure band t shirt, Adidas sambas (or dr. Martens if I was being fancy!)

Something flipped a switch when I was in my early 40s. I think I wanted to more dress my age. Well that and I got back into thrifting. There's a HUGE thrift thread on styleforum. You just learn about clothes. And what separates the good from the garbage.

I bet most here have way more confidence (well, did) than when younger. I know I've always spent money on clothing, but the last 10 years have been insane. I never get any negative comments, so either they do it behind my back, or these two aren't a good rep of most younger folks. It's a lot in your attitude...I know at times I don't feel it and therefore don't wear it. If you're not a bit cocky, do something less edgy and dodge the ire of the "social influencers" who will likely never work a day in their lives :p

ButteMT61

Here's me with my son and band (not shown) after they did a show. I never felt like I shouldn't be wearing torn jeans and a leather jacket. I'm friends with all their pals and always have fun hanging out. Not to mention, the dad's are the ones that can afford the drinks :cool:

Three years back, wearing the GW Ventura with pride!

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 10.31.03 AM.png

Smithy

Here's me with my son and band (not shown) after they did a show. I never felt like I shouldn't be wearing torn jeans and a leather jacket. I'm friends with all their pals and always have fun hanging out. Not to mention, the dad's are the ones that can afford the drinks :cool:

View attachment 44927

Fantastic photo Scott! To this old bugger you look cooler than an ice block in a fridge at the South Pole ;-)

ButteMT61

I don't ever think I look cool at my age, but I own it and don't dye my hair and dress like a guy who rides a mobility scooter - I mean, why? I get that we should match clothing to our age/body types, but to say
"No leather jackets" is just stupid. Listen to your inner audience I say. I'm 56 in that pic....fwiw.

Centaurus3200

Bad ass! It also helps that you kinda have a passing resemblance to James Hetfield ;-)

View attachment 44927

Centaurus3200

More importantly, what jacket Is that? Looks amazing!

View attachment 44927

Centaurus3200

Great conversation!

I think we're an interesting outlier to the whole Middle age men shouldn't wear leather jackets thing. by nature of collecting vintage jackets we are, for the most part, fashion conscious. And know quality from garbage regarding all clothing.

And most importantly, none of us would be caught dead in a boxy mall jacket. Which I guarantee is what those two have in mind when making their blanked statement.

MrBlue

She clearly isn't a very good celebrity stylist, because some of the most popular male celebrities wear leather jackets despite being past 45.

The list includes Johnny Depp, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Harrison Ford, The Terminator, etc etc.

Clearly she isn't their stylist, so what does she know?

Also sorry to say this but I wouldn't be caught dead in a white striped t-shirt and denim jacket like her husband was wearing.