• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite Jacket Painting.

Silver Dollar

I thought I would throw this out to the membership at large. Have you ever seen a painted jacket, regardless of the type that sits as your all time favorite example? The one I posted I've known about for years. The first time I saw the picture was in Valant's nose art book. The jacket is in the Air Force Museum near the WWII section. I was fortunate enough to see it up close and personal. Here's my all time favorite A2

DSC00079-1.jpg

Ain't she a pip?

442RCT

Anything painted by Jerome Urbaniak... :oops: His art and technique is so superior that even other artists marvel at his work. The local professional artist I'm collaborating with to paint a tribute jacket for a friend, when he saw my Urbaniak painted jacket in person, his jaw dropped and he just stared in awe at it for a few minutes. He'd seen Jerome's website and we'd downloaded and printed photos from it, but he didn't realize how good Jerome is until he saw a painted jacket in person. The artist's words were something to the effect of, "I'm in awe and now intimidated...". Mind you, this guy makes his living as a professional commercial artist. :lol:

ps- If i had to pick which one Urbaniak jacket was my favorite that I'd commision him to paint for me, it'd be "Dragon Lady".

Silver Dollar

capt71 said:
That jacket must be a fairly recent addition to the museum. I don't remember seeing that one when I was there 3 years ago, unless I just spaced out and missed it. Thanks for the photo.

I'm not sure when they put up the whole display but I do think it's fairly new. Every time my wife wants to visit her daughter in Dayton, I get to go to the museum. They know me by name in the gift shop. I just wish they could get in some better repro jackets than they have.

bombs away

Hello,

Here is the perfect painting to me.
4475482977_72e220d8d5.jpg

(from "American Flight Jackets" Maguire&Conway)

I'd sell an arm to own such jacket.
Most of the 351st BG jackets were as great as this one.

Tim.

Andrew

Most of the jackets featured in the new Silver Wings and Leather Jackets, but with jackets I have owned or still do I love these three;

This is a reconstruction I made in photoshop of art on an Aero I used to own using a bit of detective work and a '44 Vargas calender. The exact image is under the photoshop layer.
090212finalaerialroundedgraintes-1.jpg

This is 2 year old artwork painted on a 3 year old Goodwear United by a 92 year old former Ball Turrett Gunner who used to paint during the war, so I guess you could call it original. He made a copy of the art on his own jacket;
DSC_0061.jpg

My favourite, all original and untouched and I still have it, 34th BG 4th Sq. Absolute simplicity.
IMG_1302-1.jpg

bombs away

Hello,

Jeff, I remember seeing this jacket for sale not so long ago. Glad to know it's in good hands. ;)

And your Uncle Tom's Cabin is a killer. Impressive :shock:

I know you don't like to show your jackets (recent post on the USMF), but I'd really like to see more of your treasures.

Take care.

Tim

TankBuster

Thanks Tim!

The jacket that you are thinking of that was for sale on Baystate was a different jacket.
It was however from a guy that flew with the same crew, on the same plane as this guy.
I tried to pick up the one for sale on Baystate, but someone had already gotten it.

Money saved I guess! ;)

This jacket belonged to the Ball Turret Gunner on the B-17 "Shade Ruff". It's been in my
collection for quite a few years.

bombs away

TankBuster said:
Money saved I guess! ;)

You're right Jeff. But that would have been incredible to have 2 jackets from the same crew !

I'm quite sure it will come back on the market place one day.

About jackets from our own collections, here is my favorite :
4293208180_59663154a7_b.jpg

It's said in another thread that jackets with swastikas, bombs and girls are difficult to wear in the streets...
Thank God I don't wear these jackets :mrgreen:

Tim.

TankBuster

I remember seeing this one when you posted it here after you had first gotten it.
I REALLY like it :!: That's a super jacket you've got there Tim!

Silver Dollar

Wow, I knew you guys had access to some jackets but I didn't know they were going to be this good. These examples are incredible. I think they're worth at least one arm to the shoulder, one leg to the hip (opposite side), 7 teeth and a lung. Congrats to those who own them.

ausreenactor

Love this one because of the great story behind it. 1LT Kenneth D. Williams.

144136120.jpg

Someone on the forum had one painted by Jerome some time ago.

248753363.jpg

Hope he doesn't mind me using the photos!! Happy to talk to him anytime to discuss it..

Couchy ;)

ausreenactor

Murder Inc. on the ELC 27752 is here. Has been for a few years. There is an ELC Comfort 44 half done with a
Duggans Heroes and the DPDU clad 40s style pin up.Yet to see the progress...has been a while but I am being
patient. Out of curiosity our C Squadron special is airing on Yahoo 7 on Sunday night at 7.30. Might see me in
it!!

Couchy

Silver Dollar

ausreenactor said:
Love this one because of the great story behind it. 1LT Kenneth D. Williams.

144136120.jpg

Someone on the forum had one painted by Jerome some time ago.

248753363.jpg

Hope he doesn't mind me using the photos!! Happy to talk to him anytime to discuss it..

Couchy ;)

I definitely know this jacket. That picture of the airman with the flying helmet was used as very effective propaganda. For those that don't know the story, when this man was brought into custody, they took pictures of him and his jacket and plastered it all over Germany. They said something like it was proof that American airmen were murderers praying on the civilian population. That's why they called the American fliers terror fliegender.