• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You know the one thing I HATE about VLJ? Likes

Smithy

This has been pissing me off for awhile now.

If there's one thing I absolutely loathe about discussion boards and VLJ is no different, it's "likes", that thing where you click on to like what somebody has posted.

Utterly awful things, they lead people to be pissed off with others because someone doesn't like a post, no matter whether they haven't seen it, etc, etc.

I just have to put this out here, if I could change one thing about VLJ, it would be to get rid of "likes" on posts.

If you like what someone has written you don't need to click a like button, just simply post a small message saying that you enjoyed what someone wrote or posted.

I'll get off my soapbox now but I bloody hate like buttons.

Bloody ghastly things.

Smithy

Ye, I'm no fan of them either, but lots of folks live and die by what their posts get. I guess this is where we are due to Social Media...

I should give you a like for that, but I'll refrain ;)

It's an awful system, you almost feel obliged to click on the like thingie when someone who is a friend posts for fear of offending them.

If there was one thing I wish we could get rid of from VLJ it would be the whole "like" system for posts. It's ghastly.

MauldinFan

Reminds me of that South Park episode about Facebook where one kid's dad keeps pestering to friend him on Facebook and how annoying that is. Even if you hate the series (and I'm not a huge fan, myself), that episode is one of the truest things about social media I've ever seen.
But this is the world we're in, where everyone feels the obligation to 'like' someone for a reason other than the post itself.
I've seen people storm out of many forums in the past when their posts don't get enough likes or someone trolls them with unlikes, knocking down some arbitrary score that really means less than nothing.

ausreenactor

This has been pissing me off for awhile now.

If there's one thing I absolutely loathe about discussion boards and VLJ is no different, it's "likes", that thing where you click on to like what somebody has posted.

Utterly awful things, they lead people to be pissed off with others because someone doesn't like a post, no matter whether they haven't seen it, etc, etc.

I just have to put this out here, if I could change one thing about VLJ, it would be to get rid of "likes" on posts.

If you like what someone has written you don't need to click a like button, just simply post a small message saying that you enjoyed what someone wrote or posted.

I'll get off my soapbox now but I bloody hate like buttons.

Bloody ghastly things.
I like what you're saying!

B-Man2

I’ve never really given it much thought (I know …… some aren’t going to put much faith in that) but it’s true . So …..If everyone feels the same … it doesn’t matter whether the button is there or not ….. just don’t push it. Problem solved :)

MikeyB-17

Tbh I pay it very little attention. If I like something I’ll click on it (not as nice as writing an appreciative note, but I am a bone idle git), and I quite like that you can give something a laugh if it’s funny. It never enters my head whether anything I post gets any likes, or whether anything of anyone else’s does, and Heaven help me, but I don’t really care if anyone gets the hump if I don’t like something. If that has happened, I have no knowledge of it. I certainly don’t automatically like everything that gets posted-I genuinely only use the like button if I like something, and I don’t regard it as any kind of points-scoring system or popularity contest. This applies just as much on other social media platforms as it does here.

mulceber

eh, to be honest I'm quite fond of the like system. It's a good way to express enthusiasm for other people's contributions without having to go to the trouble of writing out a full post - which in turn diminishes the number of inane posts that just amount to "nice jacket" or "I agree," or "that was really funny."

And I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone get pissed off at someone else for not liking their post either. That doesn't mean it's never happened, but I think it's a rare enough occurrence that the pluses of this system still greatly outweigh the negatives.

B-Man2

eh, to be honest I'm quite fond of the like system. It's a good way to express enthusiasm for other people's contributions without having to go to the trouble of writing out a full post - which in turn diminishes the number of inane posts that just amount to "nice jacket" or "I agree," or "that was really funny."

And I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone get pissed off at someone else for not liking their post either. That doesn't mean it's never happened, but I think it's a rare enough occurrence that the pluses of this system still greatly outweigh the negatives.
I just had to do that! :mad:
:D Just kidding ….

Greg Gale

I agree with @mulceber . I think it's a useful feature. Many times I want to acknowledge a post or express the fact that I like it, but commenting "nice" or "cool jacket" or "I agree" would take too much effort and would be spammy. Hitting the like button is much more convenient and keeps the threads cleaner and to the point.

Smithy

Oh well if you can't beat them join them I suppose ;)

I hate social media and don't use it apart from some Viber groups with friends and family back home, so I'm not a great fan of that social media spill over of likes and thumbs up for everything.

Smithy is an old fashioned bugger (or SOB as my American mates would say) so I'm not exactly enamoured with everything that the 21st century has thrown at us.

I've had my little rant though so will try and behave myself and keep chucking around the likes :cool: