• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yikes ! Cut up A-2s

442RCT

This is listed on eBay, nose art...very good nose art cut from the back of an A-2. Dunno why they did this. The only reason I can think of is that some REMF pogue quartermaster's assistant making flight crew members turn in their A2s upon separation from the service.
"That jacket belongs to Uncle Sam !"
"How much will it cost ? I'll pay for it."
"It ain't for sale, now turn it in...or you can't be separated."

The QAss takes the jacket and DRMOs it...removing any patches and cutting off the nose art, then dumping the jacket into a bin.

These painted scraps of art are kept and later sold off.

Those of you who've been in the service know this 'could' have happened...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-II-A-2-Flight-Ja ... 20ae64a7a3

Andrew

Scary prospect but I don't think the real story's that sad. I'd say it's just a large back art patch from the MTO. The text says it was taken from the back of an A-2, and the stitching holes around the outside perimeter suggest that it was a large patch that was sewn onto the back of a jacket. This was apparently common in Italy. I remember vividly one I just missed winning a few years ago- still pissed off.

zoomer

Italian leather making was and is a unique tradition. They put the emphasis on fine work, ie: the practice of incising patches. Putting great big ones on the jacket back took an extra step and saved the jacket in case one changed crews. (Remember the A-2 had just been ordered phased out as our forces entered the MTO.)

Besides, I've heard more than once that painted jackets could not be reissued OR refurbed, but as government property, they had to be destroyed anyway. Allowing any great number of separated airmen to keep their jackets would have set a poor example.

TankBuster

zoomer said:
Italian leather making was and is a unique tradition. They put the emphasis on fine work, ie: the practice of incising patches. Putting great big ones on the jacket back took an extra step and saved the jacket in case one changed crews. (Remember the A-2 had just been ordered phased out as our forces entered the MTO.)

Besides, I've heard more than once that painted jackets could not be reissued OR refurbed, but as government property, they had to be destroyed anyway. Allowing any great number of separated airmen to keep their jackets would have set a poor example.

That's why I would guess 60%-70% of AAF flyers reported their A-2 jackets as stolen or MIA! :lol: It was very easy for most guys to get around turning their jackets in. Some groups made it difficult though. Thus the infamous burning heaps of decorated A-2's stories out there! :(