• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ya know that ELC Star A-2 on Ebay?

dmar836

Yes, I grabbed it. Before I even hit the buy button, I planned it as a project jacket - first to re-dye it. I have never done HWT on a jacket so I can only assume the cardboard like flexibility is due to that having been done. Any ideas on that? It has all the suppleness of a beer can but I think it was never really worn much at all. It appears that it was dragged or sanded with very fine sandpaper. As Andrew suggested, maybe it was tumbled dry. This effect is far worse than ELC's ridiculous (IMO) "time worn" finish. The overdone effect has knocked down and burnished the (actually acceptable) grain rather than accentuate it. Though obviously HH, it has the appearance of vinyl in many of the sanded spots. The seller stated he did none of this so I can comfortably say our impatient culture has produced many idiots.

IMG_8003.jpg

IMG_8005.jpg

IMG_8007.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

My plans are to redye and let the grain reappear!
Any ideas on the effects of HWT? If it was done can this cause the brittle "shell-like" feeling to the sleeves and torso? The other option is that it was never broken in.
It's no GW but at least it fits!

"We can rebuild him."
Dave

Roughwear

Well done Dave. Your Star certainly has character. Try giving it a light coat of Pecards and the end result should be that the dry areas will blend in with the main seal colour. It is cheaper than a re-dye!

dmar836

I might have to try that, Andrew. Thanks. I suppose if that wasn't enough, the Pecards would absorb enough that I could redye later.
In untouched places, it looks very much like the warhorse with that crinkled finish from the site. So, though I'm no ELC historian, I am assuming it is one of the newer jackets. Any other way to tell when it was made? If it is warhorse, at 39% of the new cost, it seamed like a pretty good deal for a 42.

Dave

nogbat

elc sell theyre own cream , i have used it on one of theyre a2s and was very pleased with the affect ..

dmar836

I think I'm sold on a re-dye. Not too sure of how they did it in the depots. Sprayed? Did they mask the knits and lining? Not much info on that out there. Were all refurbs just automatically relined and reknitted?
I realize the thread color will be lost but it isn't olive - just med brown.
Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dmar836 said:
I think I'm sold on a re-dye. Not too sure of how they did it in the depots. Sprayed? Did they mask the knits and lining? Not much info on that out there. Were all refurbs just automatically relined and reknitted?

With the shearling jackets, the method was to apply the dye with a paint brush, or piece of rug, when dry a thin lacquer top coat was sprayed. Brushing would be easiest, with the help of a rag, you wouldn't need to mask. I think lining, and knits were only replaced as necessary.

omarco

looking forward to seeing the progress on this, i love the depot redye look.

gotta say through, the original owner has made a bit of a mess of it! nothing that can't be sorted though i'm sure.

Roughwear

I definitely would not dye this jacket. Pecards will restore some colour to the jacket and the used, worn look is what so many people search for. In my experience original depot re-dyed A2s lose the suppleness of the leather and are prone to cracking and decay!

wheat1479

I agree with Andrew.Try it with the Pecards,maybe a couple coats and put up some pictures,then.I dont think it looks all that bad.

Tim P

my feet are both in the pecards camp.
The almost black depot redye though does have appeal. Nothing though without a decal. :) Use the right dye and you can still pecards it later.

Dye rather than colourant although with fieblings and lady esquire I have never had any issues that Andrew describes.

Roughwear

My experience is of original redyed A2s, Tim. The other issue is that the dye can rub off onto your clothes on many depot jobs. i hope this does not happen with modern dyes!

dmar836

Supposedly, these new dyes are pretty good. Look at JC's jackets. I don't think those hides in such perfect colors just fall into his hands. I sure would hate to add a barrier of gunk - any oil, preservative, or sealant that might prevent adhesion of good dye later. Some of the spots are very finely "sueded" now and I wonder how those areas would react.

Tim P

They will take up dye more readily than the 'tanned' areas that remain. Not a problem if your colourant is opaque.

TOMG1401

I think the jacket looks good..a little Picards and it will look great. But I think your heart is set on the dye job - Tom