• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII TBM Avenger splashes into ocean Cocoa Beach Fl

Ed Rooney

That’s a little close to bathers. I think they might have been thinking a bit too much about salvaging the airplane.

Edward

F916AD59-52CB-4124-BB65-C36A4BCB0385.jpeg

Dimitry M

that think went down quick. just look at the photos of the pilot climbing out of the cock pit ant the water level rise an that short amount of time. good thing it was shallow.

Lorenzo_l

I agree. But you undoubtedly know that even with a low wave, landing on water usually more destructive for an aircraft than on the ground without landing gear.
Hopefully owners will be able to restore she again.

Compared to many other wrecks that have been not only salvaged and restored, but actually made airworthy, this aircraft is essentially intact. Sure, lots of physical damage due to the ditching itself as well as the salt water, but given enough money is thrown at it, there is no reason this turkey (as TBMs are also known) should not get back in the air. The IL-2 restored in Russia and now airworthy was in way worse shape than this bird, right Dmitry?

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Compared to many other wrecks that have been not only salvaged and restored, but actually made airworthy, this aircraft is essentially intact. Sure, lots of physical damage due to the ditching itself as well as the salt water, but given enough money is thrown at it, there is no reason this turkey (as TBMs are also known) should not get back in the air. The IL-3 restored in Russia and now airworthy was in way worse shape than this bird, right Dmitry?

Undoubtedly ... that Il-2 lay in the swamp for 70 years.
I think the main repairs here are airframe and fuselage parts + flushing from seawater. The propeller is not a problem. The engine and equipment were not damaged. Once more - applause for the pilot.

B-Man2

Compared to many other wrecks that have been not only salvaged and restored, but actually made airworthy, this aircraft is essentially intact. Sure, lots of physical damage due to the ditching itself as well as the salt water, but given enough money is thrown at it, there is no reason this turkey (as TBMs are also known) should not get back in the air. The IL-2 restored in Russia and now airworthy was in way worse shape than this bird, right Dmitry?
Lorenzol
Completely agree with you. It’s totally savalgible. All it takes is lots of $$$$.
From what Ed wrote, I guess the aircraft had just undergone a period of restoration not too long ago , so I imagine that all of the investors of that restoration are not going to be very happy with this outcome . But once again there were no injuries and everyone went home that day , that’s what counts .

B-Man2

were they expecting trouble? what's with all the armed police and army-ish guys there?
Cocoa Beach is a small Florida beach town located near Patrick Air Force Base . It only takes the local cops about 10 minutes to get anywhere in the town and the USAF Security guys are probably on the same radio network and heard the calls go out and responded .

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yeah nicely done, but a bit close to swimmers.

Flying these warbirds requires so much more than careful flying and being a super good pilot.
IF... IF something goes wrong, you'd know safety comes first, then the idea that these aircraft are priceless. How do crash (manhandle with finesse) with the least amount of damage possible... All this in seconds.