• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII RoughWear B3

RB25

I purchased this nearly 5 years ago. Always wanted one from WWII. It came from an estate if I remember correctly. As you can see it’s a RoughWear. Little did I know at the time the same company made A2’s. I condition it once or twice yearly. I had it repaired, there was a tear on the R shoulder area. The vets son said it spent its life on a hangar. Overall it’s in good condition. Has a Crown zip that works well. A few tender spots here and there but it can be worn. I might give it a shot this evening or tomorrow since a nice artic blast will be making its way to the east coast.

One day I hope to get a repro B3 for winter use. I’ve seen a lot of nice ones pictured here on VLJ and wanted to share this with the forum.

Attachments

• 310B168B-8656-4EEC-AEE7-E6C57827228E.jpeg
    310B168B-8656-4EEC-AEE7-E6C57827228E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 414
  • 709D058E-EB89-4D8D-998F-4BCC7A00A13A.jpeg
    709D058E-EB89-4D8D-998F-4BCC7A00A13A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 377
  • AB29FD55-87E8-4035-8F21-ED50B0DA1B29.jpeg
    AB29FD55-87E8-4035-8F21-ED50B0DA1B29.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 318
  • 0FB1D010-96D7-4ACF-AE5A-D406445A9AB3.jpeg
    0FB1D010-96D7-4ACF-AE5A-D406445A9AB3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 272
  • 5B258E52-F2A5-4C9E-A74F-B5C6A2E8D6E2.jpeg
    5B258E52-F2A5-4C9E-A74F-B5C6A2E8D6E2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 310
  • 0FC2ED75-6F28-4662-905F-5C7D4C13390B.jpeg
    0FC2ED75-6F28-4662-905F-5C7D4C13390B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 304
Last edited:

CBI

great jacket!! just don't wear it, good chance it will fall apart if you do!!!!

RB25

great jacket!! just don't wear it, good chance it will fall apart if you do!!!!
I’ve put it on a few times...and it goes right back into storage until the next conditioning. Maybe worn 3x since I’ve had it. Was always told they are fragile. I’m not looking to find out the hard way either. Appreciate the message/info CBI

B-Man2

Sweet lookingB-3. Amazing condition .
If you check it out real good and look at all the seams, and the sections of hide for dry rot , you might be able to wear the jacket on an occasional basis.

RB25

Sweet lookingB-3. Amazing condition .
If you check it out real good and look at all the seams, and the sections of hide for dry rot , you might be able to wear the jacket on an occasional basis.
Surprisingly all seams are good, nice and solid. Living it’s life after the war on a hangar made the shoulder areas the most brittle spots. Luckily the repair on R shoulder was done very well. L shoulder is holding so far.

CBI

I'm afraid I have experience with this years ago with an original B-3 purchased for me as a gift. Second wearing on a cold day, seemed to get colder all of a sudden???????? The back ripped completely in half .............ruined.................

RB25

I'm afraid I have experience with this years ago with an original B-3 purchased for me as a gift. Second wearing on a cold day, seemed to get colder all of a sudden???????? The back ripped completely in half .............ruined.................
I had no idea these were so fragile when I got into them a few years back. Stinks it spends 363 days a year stored away so it doesn’t get ruined or damaged.

B-Man2

I had no idea these were so fragile when I got into them a few years back. Stinks it spends 363 days a year stored away so it doesn’t get ruined or damaged.
I agree . It’s great to have an original b-3, but unless it’s a family members or has some other significance , you might want to consider either putting on a display or passing it on. To let it sit in a closet for a number of years just to look at it or show it to someone, does little for the longevity of the hides as eventually they’ll begin to crease and develop hairline cracks. If you would really like to have an original, sell the B-3 and buy an original Irvin or Warings jacket . They weren’t processed or coated like the US b-3 jackets and don’t seem to have the issues the b-3 has with cracking. Just my 2cents worth.:)

RB25

I agree . It’s great to have an original b-3, but unless it’s a family members or has some other significance , you might want to consider either putting on a display or passing it on. To let it sit in a closet for a number of years just to look at it or show it to someone, does little for the longevity of the hides as eventually they’ll begin to crease and develop hairline cracks. If you would really like to have an original, sell the B-3 and buy an original Irvin or Warings jacket . They weren’t processed or coated like the US b-3 jackets and don’t seem to have the issues the b-3 has with cracking. Just my 2cents worth.:)
I’ll have to do some research on the Irvin which I am semi familiar with the Warings I am not. I do need to find a display piece for it so it sees the light of day.

B-Man2

I’ll have to do some research on the Irvin which I am semi familiar with the Warings I am not. I do need to find a display piece for it so it sees the light of day.
Warings was just another company that made the Irving jacket for the British Air Ministry during World War II