• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII PHOTOGRAHER

Grant

A good friend of mine produced this lovely little film on a WWII war photographer.

Michelantonio Celestino Onofrio “Tony” Vaccaro was born in December 1920 in Greensburg, Pa., and raised in Italy by his paternal grandmother after both his parents died during his childhood. He returned to the U.S. at the outbreak of WWII to avoid military service and graduated from high school in New York before he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1944. Following training, he came ashore at Normandy and fought his way through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany, taking pictures as he went. After the war, he became an in-demand fashion photographer shooting extensively for magazines like Look and Flair. In 1994, the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings, he was awarded the French Legion of Honor, among many other awards and recognitions. The documentary film Underfire: The Untold Story of Pfc. Tony Vaccaro premiered at the Boston Film Festival in 2016 and was distributed by HBO. At 97, he continues to work in his studio, daily identifying pictures, and preparing for exhibitions of his work around the world.

Grant

Yes he is! I in touch with one of his daughters about purchasing a print of one of his Battle of the Bulge images.

Bul.png

ausreenactor

Had an M7 Grenade Launcher and sold it with a dummy... I was the dummy. Now I never sell anything. Thought I ditched my Parkerizing solution years ago. Nup. Still there! Happier...

Blackboxr1200S

Strolling through some older topics here on VLJ..

Reading Tony Vaccaro's story got me interested in some WWII cameras and thus added a few to my own collection.

Tony himself actually used the Argus C3 ( aka The Brick ) to take his wartime famous shots.

You have to check out his documentary, worth watching -->

1682178311086.png

Chandler

Strolling through some older topics here on VLJ..

Reading Tony Vaccaro's story got me interested in some WWII cameras and thus added a few to my own collection.

Tony himself actually used the Argus C3 ( aka The Brick ) to take his wartime famous shots.

You have to check out his documentary, worth watching -->

View attachment 107195
That Kodak on the left is very similar to one I inherited from my father. His is early '50s, though.

What size film does that one take?

Blackboxr1200S

That Kodak on the left is very similar to one I inherited from my father. His is early '50s, though.

What size film does that one take?
The model Kodak 35 (takes a 35mm film) was launched in 1938 till around 1949, with variations in material and color turning knobs, viewfinders, lenses etc...There was no civil production between '42 and '45.
They did make a WWII US Army Olive Drab variant of the same camera, the Kodak 35 PH324

1682234025205.png

The ones I have are both made before 1942

1682234234945.png
1682234391311.png

Last edited: