• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Parachute help

bazelot

I just bought a WWII Naval aviator helmet that came with 2 pairs of goggles and a parachute. Here attached the pictures from the Ebay ad. THe ad states that it is a "WW2 Silk Small Parachute in very nice condition. Silk Parachute is around 15" tall, 8 cords still attached."
Any idea what kind of parachute this is?

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

better duck

bazelot said:
It's way smaller than a pilot parachute
I think dmar meant (and maybe you understood) a pilot parachute as in "a small parachute deployed to pull the main parachute from the pack", not a parachute for a pilot (or any other aircrew). Problem is, I don't know if pilot chutes were used to deploy a round main parachute in those days.

Flare parachute might be a good idea, and what do you think of this one: one of those parachutes used with the dummy doll paratroopers in the night of the 5th of June 1944 in Normandy?

dmar836

Peter might be correct about the "Rupert" chute. Just this evening, my sister-in-law showed me a pic of one she took in Normandy. I'll look at it again but I don't remember them being this heavy. Also some discussion of Ruperts on the US Militaria forum.
More likely a drag chute, pilot chute, or flare shoot. Remember too, they used drag chutes on bombs for tree-top level missions.
Dave

unclegrumpy

I have seen original "Rupert's" with their chutes intact, and they are lighter weight and silky looking. This one also has much heavier duty lines and reenforced construction.

In looking at it again, it started to look smaller than I had been envisioning. Some of the seat and back pack parachutes have smaller chutes to help deploy them as well. This one was designed to deploy another larger chute, but exactly which one is the question.

One thing to look for is an AN or stock number, it should have one stamped somewhere on it. With that, it might be able to be tracked down, though the answer most likely will not be too exciting.

jack31916

better duck said:
bazelot said:
It's way smaller than a pilot parachute
I think dmar meant (and maybe you understood) a pilot parachute as in "a small parachute deployed to pull the main parachute from the pack", not a parachute for a pilot (or any other aircrew). Problem is, I don't know if pilot chutes were used to deploy a round main parachute in those days.

They were in use with the RAF (seat type and chest type) parachutes so I guess in the USAAF and USN type parachutes worked with the same system.

Have to admit that the RAF 'pilot' chute is a spring-loaded mechanism which works like an umbrella...

bazelot

thanks for the help. I do not know if it has any markings on it. I will receive it next week so i will let you guys know about any markings. It came with abunch of WWII naval aviator gear so it would be great to know the details :)

unclegrumpy

jack31916 said:
They were in use with the RAF (seat type and chest type) parachutes so I guess in the USAAF and USN type parachutes worked with the same system.

Have to admit that the RAF 'pilot' chute is a spring-loaded mechanism which works like an umbrella...

Correct, most US seat type and chest type parachutes, especially the postwar ones that I have had pop open on me :eek: , have had a small spring loaded chute inside them that pops out first. I know some of the WW II ones have them as well, though I can't really say which models, as I always made it a rule never to peak inside packed parachutes. :shock: