• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Large Format Photography

m444uk

Crawling around the interweb these pics caught my eye.

The Ardennes 1944

article-0-0F3546E200000578-263_964x.jpg

NY early 40's

article-2036932-0DDE13F400000578-85.jpg

Pacific 1943

6142804260_983b7d7a55_b.jpg

6142807248_9082cb7a6a_b2.jpg

Not sure about the New York one but all are clearly taken on 5x4" plate camera. I've set the last
one as my desktop. It's so clear it's like actually being there !

derleicaman

The second image of New York was made with 35mm Kodachrome. You can see the framing of the slide mount around the perimeter. Kodachrome was the most common color film in the US about this time. The dyes used were very stable, being basically a B&W film with the color dyes added during processing by Kodak. Unlike other competitors (Agfacolor, Ektachrome, Anscocolor, etc.) Kodachromes if stored properly can yield images just as vibrant more than 60 years later, virtually the same as when they were first viewed. Sadly, Kodachrome was killed off last year due to the environmentally unfriendly nature of the process and digital photogrpahy.

derleicaman

I found some other images taken with Kodachrome 4 x 5. The standard still camera of the US military in WWII was the Speed Graphic, a real beast if you've ever seen one. I would not like to have to lug one around in combat! My dad was issued one in 1945 when he went into service as an Army Ordnance Photographer. Sent to Germany after VE day to document de-commissioning of war material, he spent a lot of time and effort trying to get a Leica! These were really hard to get with most of them being snatched up by the officer corps.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/08/world-war-ii-the-american-home-front-in-color/100122/

Some incredible images of aircraft production, various military subjects, etc. Looks like they were all taken in 1942. Some nice A-2 subject matter in image #45!

derleicaman

Here you go, image #45. Some interesting variation in hide color and knit colors. Tall fellow in the middle looks to be wearing a Rough Wear by the collar, if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone identify the other jackets?

s_w45_1a35094u.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
derleicaman said:
Can anyone identify the other jackets?

Dunno, but they look great being worn with the correct trousers, and just as issued ... no Long sizes here. :cool:

Peter Graham

Awesome photos. The Ardennes one is particularly evocative. We really have gone backwards with digital, haven't we ?

ButteMT61

Peter Graham said:
Awesome photos. The Ardennes one is particularly evocative. We really have gone backwards with digital, haven't we ?

Yes and no. You can't help buy look at these and think WOW. Digital would give us incredible detail (Hmm, sounds like the music debate as well...) but film gives such beauty that I don't think they are comparable.
I tend to be old school. Maybe it's just the way it is when you're 50 (+) and you see the world differently. I love these photos - there's something there a digital point and shoot isn't going to match...

DJS48

Wonderful photos.............and the Dauntless photos are magnificent...The first time I have ever seen these. Thanks alot.
Cheers,
Don