• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Imp Boondockers

Andrew

Anyone got any shots of their broken in boondockers? I'm keen to see how they look after a while.

Andrew

No, haven't gotten around to to yet and at this time of year I don't really need shoes!

unclegrumpy

Just asking because I ordered a pair in two different sizes (12 & 13) and sent both of them back. They were too long and narrow for me. I suspect these might be better proportioned in the smaller sizes.

Marv

I have a pair and they are great boots, they have had one coat of dubbin to darken and protect the leather......comfortable and breaking in nicely, dont' wear them as often as I should though.

I will try and post some pics of them as they are now if I get a chance.........

Andrew

Ok, i'm wearing shoes again now and am all set to buy a pair of Boondockers NOW this minute (it's actually only in the mid teens so it's cold for us). Which is it going to be, WWII Imp, ATF or SM Wholesale? Money waiting to be spent. As I see it, this is the order of choice but it's pretty much based on price assuming most expensive is the best. Any last minute opinions?

Juan can I get a discount if I go straight to you plus give you a glowing review :D ?

Corey, i'm about a sz 11 or 12 but i'm planning to get my foot professionally measured based on your experience.

http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.co ... ckers.html

unclegrumpy

Good luck!

I gave up after the two pairs of WW II Impressions I waited six months to a year for did not fit. The boots came in one box, but I got charged postage and handling as though they were sent separately, and I paid the postage to send them both back....I think that all amounted to something around $50+. I was thinking of looking at those invoices to see if it was more, but it would just annoy me too much again.

Here is what I remember thinking as of six months ago:

WW II Impressions: Nice quality, thought the leather was soft and thin...which might not be a bad thing. I have a regular width foot, but the D was too narrow and these run long in and past the toe box area, and I was afraid the EE was going to be too wide....and I did not want to invest anything more in postage or time farting around. Maybe if I could try six pairs on in a shoe store there would be one size that fits reasonably....but maybe not.

SM Wholesale: Decent quality. They are the Army version. That might be better as the toe box is a more normal shape. I have a few friends who have these and are happy...and say that they are reasonably true to size. I am going to wait until I am somewhere where I can try a pair on....maybe next month. I believe that these are made in Mexico.

ATF: The ones I looked at had glued on soles. People I know who have had these, liked them OK, but the boots fell apart...generally issues with the soles. These boots are the cheapest quality of the three. Made in Asia, and look it.

Conclusion: I am glad you are the test monkey this time, not me! :D

I think a lot depends on your foot. I am not sure that getting "professionally measured" will help much, because I don't think any of these boots are professionally sized. There seems to be a lot variation in the size ranges. If you read the gibberish in the descriptions about sizing, you can quickly see that the people that sell these don't really know how they are sized either.

It would be interesting to hear how others have faired, and what you decide.

Marv

I have a pair of both the ATF and WWII Imp boondockers and by far the WWII Imp are far superior in both quality and fit.

They are more true to life with the correct narrow shape toe but the sole pattern is that of the Roughout style boot and the heal pattern is not the same on mine as shown on the website due to this style not being in production at the time of manufacture.

The leather is soft and subtle albeit and little light in colour when purchased but one coat of dubbin corrected this and now they are to same colour as all the NOS Boondockers that you see come up on the web etc.

The size I purchased was US 11D (I am a UK size 10) and these fitted perfectly.

I have had the boots now for over 6 months and they have broken in great and are extremely comfortable to wear with just normal cotton socks, I have fitted the correct NOS nylon laces for authenticity as well which adds to the overall appearance.

All in all, I have been very impressed with the WWII Imp Boondockers and on my personal experience I would recommend them without hesitation.

Here are some before and after (a coat of Dubbin) photos of when new.......

Before...

3cd78ba8.jpg

fd60a15d.jpg

add967f3.jpg

After....

4520d913.jpg

9680233f.jpg

972863f2.jpg

Sorry but I don't have any current photos on the boots with wear at present....

Andrew

Guys. Thanks so much for the informative responses, and Paul, your report is exactly what I needed so thanks for taking the time to do it. They do look great and just what I want. I'll get my order underway and hopefully I won't have the same problems that you did Corey.

Marv

Andrew said:
Guys. Thanks so much for the informative responses, and Paul, your report is exactly what I needed so thanks for taking the time to do it. They do look great and just what I want. I'll get my order underway and hopefully I won't have the same problems that you did Corey.

Hey Andrew, glad I could be of help.........if I get a chance I will try and take/post some photos of them in their current state.

unclegrumpy

Andrew said:
Guys. Thanks so much for the informative responses, I'll get my order underway and hopefully I won't have the same problems
Question: Are your feet narrow or wide? If they are in the middle range or on the wider side, I would go with the WW II Impressions EE width. I found the toe box to be really long, tight, and narrow on the D.

You can really see the pointed toe box shape in Marv's photo....not much room for your big and little toes:

3cd78ba8.jpg

Marv

Here are some quick pics of my boondockers with about 6 months plus average wear

3e52a2f5.jpg

7bd58f43.jpg

a15965b8.jpg

3e8a0228.jpg

If you look closely you can see where my toes are and the are a good inch away from the narrow point of the boot so they don't really get squashed at all.

Andrew

They look excellent Paul and I can't recall seeing any other images posted anywhere that show what these look like before and after. Thanks again.

Marv

Andrew said:
They look excellent Paul and I can't recall seeing any other images posted anywhere that show what these look like before and after. Thanks again.

No probs at all, hope it's given you enough info to make your choice.

Andrew

Thanks Jack, but I placed my order with WWII Imp last week. I'm getting the 11.5 EE. Fingers crossed they fit. I ended up tracing my foot and giving Juan the length and width measurements. I'll post the results when they get here.

Andrew

It's a bootfest here at the moment- Converse yesterday, Boondockers today....

I'm really impressed and happy with them. I ordered the 11.5EE based on the advice from Juan after sending him the length and width measurements of my traced foot and the fit is spot on. Yes, the toe is narrow and extends a little but that's something about the style I like.

Now I need to waterproof them and i'll see what the local supermarkets sell (hopefully the Kiwi stuff) but if anyone knows if Pecards is safe to use on them pls let me know as I have a tub. It's a bit of a shame as I really like the tone of them as they are but I suppose that won't last long unprotected.

Are the laces correct or were originals of the round type?

Hopefully these pics will help anyone else trying to make the decision.

sm.jpg

sm-001.jpg

sm-002.jpg

ausreenactor

Andrew said:
It's a bootfest here at the moment- Converse yesterday, Boondockers today....

I'm really impressed and happy with them. I ordered the 11.5EE based on the advice from Juan after sending him the length and width measurements of my traced foot and the fit is spot on. Yes, the toe is narrow and extends a little but that's something about the style I like.

Now I need to waterproof them and i'll see what the local supermarkets sell (hopefully the Kiwi stuff) but if anyone knows if Pecards is safe to use on them pls let me know as I have a tub. It's a bit of a shame as I really like the tone of them as they are but I suppose that won't last long unprotected.

Are the laces correct or were originals of the round type?

Hopefully these pics will help anyone else trying to make the decision.

sm.jpg

OMG! You unwrapped them? Look at the wrapping? I would have saved them for 'good'. I still have desert uniforms I never de-tagged to save for later on... Seeing as they are unwrapped now you might as well enjoy them. ;)

Couchy

Marv

Marv said:
Here are some quick pics of my boondockers with about 6 months plus average wear

3e52a2f5.jpg

7bd58f43.jpg

a15965b8.jpg

3e8a0228.jpg

If you look closely you can see where my toes are and the are a good inch away from the narrow point of the boot so they don't really get squashed at all.

They look great Andrew, especially with the Chinos.....also, not sure if it's just the photo but yours look a bit darker out of the box than mine were.

I just used one thin coat of dubbin applied with an old toothbrush to get the correct shade but yours look there already, you will find the leather will go slightly darker when you apply any type of water proofing substance - the more you apply (coats) the darker the leather will go.

As for the correct lace type, if you look at my photos I have the correct WW2 NOS nylon laces and they are indeed the flat type and are a reddish brown in colour....I think mine cost me $1 or $2 from ATF from what I can remember but I am sure there are plenty of other suppliers who sell them.

Enjoy the boots and if you get a chance, maybe you could do a quick review with pics after some wear as I think the WWII Imp Boondockers are fantastic boots and as you mentioned earlier, there doesn't seem to be much info/photos on these type of boots on the forum so would be good to get the info out there to other forum members if there are thinking about purchasing in the future.