• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Era Hamilton Sutton- Military Presentation Watch

HH's cool post of that gorgeous Seiko inspired me to do a quick post about this Hamilton Sutton I picked up last year.

It was languishing in a local antique/junk store when I noticed it in the case. I usually don't bother looking at those b/c they're often not-working junkers grossly overpriced but this one looked worth checking out. Sure enough, it was...

Wound and set super smoothly and ran like a top. Power reserve ended up being a little short, meaning it needed a service, but overall condition upon first inspection was great for its over seventy years of age.

Once I inspected I was intrigued by its inscription on the back.

Lt. Rankin
from
Enlisted Personnel
6 FA Brigade

I don't have my notes in front of me as I type this, but I believe the Sutton was introduced in 1937 and mine dates from 1938 IIRC. I haven't done any serious research on Rankin beyond a quick google, but I presume he was an officer in the 6th Field Artillery Brigade in the pre-war to early war period.

I bought the watch for a haggled $65 and then sent it off to Jack at IWW. I had it serviced and replaced the aftermarket metallic bracelet in poor condition with one of pigskin just like an OEM Hamilton strap of the era.

This is the watch I strapped on when I got my new Monarch Good Wear--fits perfect under an A-2 cuff. :) (I haven't gotten around to sourcing an A11 or other military pilot watch yet.)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Happy Hooligan

super nice. I love the history that that watch might have...

I don't have any dress watches like that... I've always wanted one, but it had to be special... like that one.

Hamsterbear

I have one like that as well, and the best part is that it was my fathers.
He either had it during WWII while in the Navy, or immediately after the war.
My mother may have given it to him as a wedding gift in 1952.
I haven't researched the model or when it was made to be sure, but it still works great and hasn't been touched/restored.
DaddHamiltonwatch028.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Clyde from Carolina said:
This is the watch I strapped on when I got my new Monarch Good Wear--fits perfect under an A-2 cuff. :) (I haven't gotten around to sourcing an A11 or other military pilot watch yet.)

Nice classy Hamilton, and exactly, watches from the period look right, and work perfectly with an A-2.

Hamsterbear said:
I have one like that as well, and the best part is that it was my fathers.
He either had it during WWII while in the Navy, or immediately after the war.
My mother may have given it to him as a wedding gift in 1952.
I haven't researched the model or when it was made to be sure, but it still works great and hasn't been touched/restored.
DaddHamiltonwatch028.jpg

Thanks, guys. I really like this one. I'm a Hamilton fan anyway, but the military presentation inscription puts it over the top for me.

Hamsterbear, that Hamilton of yours of course is the absolute best kind of watch...a keepsake of your Dad's. Doesn't get any better than that.