• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Cooper A-2

SuinBruin

John Chapman is an unstoppable jacket making force. But is the Cooper name still under trademark? I think it might be held by U. S. Wings.

In any case, it looks great, just like all of John's A-2s. If money were no object, I could see myself buying another half dozen easy (Dubow, Star, Monarch, SAT, Cooper, Cable).

Roughwear

John's repro of the Cooper is another very fine jacket and replicates all the details on the original used as a pattern exactly. He has even used a Conmar zipper with a rectangular puller which was used on this rare contract A-2. :)

B-Man2

Has JC mentioned to anyone when he would begin taking orders again?

A

Anonymous

John doesn't look so good these days, a little pale. Maybe he hired a new model.

Jason

One word: WOW. I never before appreciated the simple lines of an original Cooper, but I sure do now. Gawsh, John just keeps making the choice for my next jacket harder every month: Doniger, 27753 or now GW's Cooper.

Vcruiser

Roughwear said:
chitchat said:
John doesn't look so good these days, a little pale. Maybe he hired a new model.

Perhaps he needs to get out more and take a break from making jackets. :lol:

...or put a sun lamp next to the sewing machine... :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Interesting quote from the Acme Depot:

• The original WWII era Cooper A-2, contract W535-AC-23381, is a rarely seen jacket, something which implies a low production number. Visually, the jacket appears to be very similar to the Rough Wear style, as based upon the epaulets, collar stand, collar points, and pocket flap shape. Furthermore, the label on this jacket is virtually identical in size, layout, and lettering to that of the Rough Wear 23380 label.

Roughwear

Although the design is similar in some respects to a Rough Wear the upper sleeves are different. The shoulders on the Cooper have a bit more of a square design than other A-2s and of course the slight bevel on the pocket corners is very typical Cooper. BTW the same maker produced the labels for Cooper and RW A2s.

johnwayne

Yet again JC comes up trumps and interesting that he's chosen Cooper, from comments here and elsewhere I wouldnt have thought that Cooper was a particulalry popular maker or a sought after 're-make/repro' - maybe I'm basing that view on the fact that 'current' Cooper jackets we often see are tainted and not recognised as being credible repro's by most. Is it JC's intention to produce a version of every original maker? He can't be far awy from that now!!!

cheers
Wayne

bseal said:
:eek:

Good Wear Leather Coat Co. Up on the site.

Wow. If I was to buy a Chapman A-2, that'd be the one. Perfect in every way to my little eye. You do, (or I do, anyway) have to wonder a bit why he's broadening the selection given his current capacity problems...but the man is driven, no doubt.

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
Interesting quote from the Acme Depot:

• The original WWII era Cooper A-2, contract W535-AC-23381, is a rarely seen jacket, something which implies a low production number. Visually, the jacket appears to be very similar to the Rough Wear style, as based upon the epaulets, collar stand, collar points, and pocket flap shape. Furthermore, the label on this jacket is virtually identical in size, layout, and lettering to that of the Rough Wear 23380 label.

That's interesting. I'm not seeing such a strong similarity as he seems to.

The Cooper is a nice jacket, it's too bad more of it's details weren't used in the 'reintroduction' Airforce A-2.