• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII A2 PROJECT

Gio80

Whilst searching for photo's of Lt Leggett I came across these Ebay auctions for groupings of some of his items;
That’s an amazing find, what are the chances that his artifacts would be available for sale, as we are in the middle of discussing Gio’s thoughts about putting together a tribute jacket in his memory.
That’s great work 2NM2K!!

About ten years ago, while I was looking for dog tags, I found out this amazing trunk listed on. In that period, the seller did not sell anything separately, he wanted sell the whole trunk together but not the dog tags who were inside it. The dog tags, were the only thing did not belonge to Lt. Leggett.

They belonged to an hight US officer, and was not clear why were in Leggett's personal effects. So I purchased the dog tags an I start a research accordin to the name and serial number engraved on.

After two years of serching, one day I receved an e-mail from a 72 years old lady. She was curious, why the old set of her father's dog tags ended up in Italy. I couldn't belive it!

Her father was the Lt. Col. Huhg W. Jones, was in the Army Medical Corps and was assigned as Division Surgeon of the 104th Division (The Timberwolfs), the first US division that entered in Germany andthe first division arrived at the Nordhausen Concentration Camp.
His wife was Marjorie D. Leggett. Yes the sister of Lt. Leggett.

We started a pen friendship, she did tell me about her father and his war experience in Nordhausen that he never forget. When I wanted send back to her the dog tags, she was happy and proud if I wanted kept them. Perhaps, her mother put the dog tags of her husband with her brother Jonh's things during the various movements and the trunk remained at her cousins.

Here because the tribute jacket.

Gio80

Here a pic of Col. Jones, and his dog tags that I proudly keep on my neck every day as big present from his daughter. :)

3AE884F1-6AF6-4944-839E-6E29BFCDDA50 - Copia.jpeg

B-Man2

Gio
Thank you for telling us that great story. Like you, most of us here are interested in the stories behind the items we collect or the jackets we wear . Sadly there are less people around from those days to tell their stories, so we absolutely must share the ones we are left with.
Cheers

mulceber

And I think a RW 23380 as a backup plan to a Perry would be a fine idea. But first, see if you can get a Perry. It might help your case if you explain this project and it’s significance to Andy.

Gio80

Gio
Thank you for telling us that great story. Like you, most of us here are interested in the stories behind the items we collect or the jackets we wear . Sadly there are less people around from those days to tell their stories, so we absolutely must share the ones we are left with.
Cheers

I am just agree. Above all because is not easy find out the stories of old items and when we catch one, is important to share it not to forget and engrave it in the memory.

Brettafett

Out of interest, look here:

An original Perry and a 1756 (contract was made by Perry)

Original 1756

Another possibility for Lt Leggett's jacket...

Gio80

And I think a RW 23380 as a backup plan to a Perry would be a fine idea. But first, see if you can get a Perry. It might help your case if you explain this project and it’s significance to Andy.
What's the different fit between RW 23380 and Perry?

Brettafett

Besides being two different producers of flight jackets during WW2... Not much, I wouldn't think. There may be others here, who own both type and could add something.
Each maker had their own basic style of the government spec, so each makers jackets all vary slightly in the details - this is one of the things we all find so interesting about them.
Regarding Roughwear and Perry, both patterns have similar box shape and are comfortable for the size. They also both have have collar stands, so the collar sits a bit higher.
Its the details which differ, like the pocket shape and style, the collar shape, the zipper (Conmar/ Talon...), things like that.
Comparing different jackets on websites like Goodwear, Eastman and Bill Kelso you can see these differences.

mulceber

Good Wear in particular is useful here, since their main page for each jacket contains a list of relevant details. Might want to compare their Perry to their Rough Wear 1401-P, since they don’t offer the 23380 (RW was, iirc, one of the more conservative contractors, and so their jackets don’t differ much from contract to contract).

Last edited:

Gio80

Each maker had their own basic style of the government spec, so each makers jackets all vary slightly in the details - this is one of the things we all find so interesting about them.
I noticed, is not easy to get the different details between each maker, so it needs time to have an expert and surgical eye.

B-Man2

Poor guy actually made it to a safe area, bailed out safely ... and then while floating down in his chute, got hit by his own falling aircraft. Sad story and you have to think .. what are the chances of that... but it probably happened a greater number of times than we could imagine in those days .