• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII A2 PROJECT

Gio80

I open this thread because I'd like to reproduction an A2 flight jacket in memory of a P40 US pilot KIA in Anzio april 16th 1944.

I wish to find out a WWII hight quality manufacture repro jacket to wear and fit good. I don't like when the jackets stay baggy, I prefer slim fit.
Is not easy to understand all the tiny different trims between all the WWII manufactures, I need a big help for this :)

Here a pic of LT John Leggett 315 FS - 324th FG - 12 USAAF
P1150027.JPG

Thanks
Gio

mulceber

My question is, are you hoping to make this tribute jacket as close a reproduction of the actual pilot's jacket as possible? What are your aims in this project? There are people on this forum who could probably take a pretty good guess at identifying the contract that pilot is wearing.

Brettafett

Gio,

Right off the bat, I'd say to look at the following.

JaDubowmfg - Best high end A-2 for the price. Only regular sizes, no long or short... Seal or russet horsehide is great.
Bill Kelso - highly accurate and reasonably priced, a number of 'authentic' options and they will do long sizes (this would be my pick)
Eastmanleather - highly accurate, but a bit more expensive.
Goodwear - highly accurate, but quite expensive and crazy wait times.

All of the above are highly accurate and arguably the very best A-2 reproductions available in the world at this time. All use original WW2 jacket patterns and the most accurate materials and hardware available today. They are very focused on detailing and getting things right.

I won't say any 'one' is better or worse than any of the others, as they are all equally well-made and as authentic as they can be. They are all the various company's best reproduction of original WW2 jackets in their collections. They will all have their own nuances... It all boils down to what you want to spend, how long you want to wait and if there's a specific WW2 maker/ pattern you are after...

Also consider Five Star's goatskin Doniger, if you're on more of a budget. He has eye-balled an original (I believe) and has received lots of feedback from the guys on this forum, so its a relatively decent repro. Quick turn-around and the guys that have them, like them very much. The goatskin version would be most 'authentic'...

You can also rummage through Ebay and the Classifieds on here for secondhand jackets, if that's a consideration.

There are lots of reviews of the above recommendations on this forum.
Let us know how you get on.

Brettafett

I can't help but add a best guess. I'd say he is wearing a russet Perry... based on the collar and collar stand. Possibly a Roughwear?
Goodwear makes an excellent Perry repro and I believe Bill Kelso can make one also.

Gio80

My question is, are you hoping to make this tribute jacket as close a reproduction of the actual pilot's jacket as possible? What are your aims in this project? There are people on this forum who could probably take a pretty good guess at identifying the contract that pilot is wearing.
Yes, if someone is able to identify the contract jacket wearing by Lt Leggett it's great.

Than I have to see if that manufacture has the right fit for my size, so, I'd like to get closer but I can make exceptions. :)

Brettafett

Do you have any other photos?
I would put a small sum on money ;) on it being a Perry... Thats a very high collar.
Could be a Rougher... There are some on the forum who would likely know better. There are some very keen eyes on here.

Perry - Goodwear & Bill Kelso
Roughwear - BK, ELC and GW

Both Mulceber (above) and I have RW23380s made by BK and you can see these in the 'What jacket you wearing today' thread, posted yesterday I think.
Mine is the Seal Liberty. My BK RW23380 and Dubow (and my Dubow from Platon) are my all time favourites A-2s.

Brettafett

I think this would too big for you, it may be perfect... And its an original...

Gio80

I saw your both jackets posted, they looks great. RW liberty seal very cool!

To get the right size won't be easy...what's yours?

mulceber

The best place to start is with this sizing tutorial:

For an A-2 jacket you probably want anywhere from 3-5 inches (7-12 cm) of breathing room in the chest. So if your chest measures 40 inches (101 cm), you'll want a jacket with a chest circumference of 43-45 inches (109-114 cm), or a pit-to-pit measurement of 21.5-22.5 inches (54-57 cm). From there you can start to figure out sleeve length, torso length, and shoulder measurement.

Last edited:

Brettafett

I'm around 5'10 roughly 72kgs trim, athletic build, 40" chest, long arms ;)
I wear a 42 in originals and my RW23380 is a 42 long (I added a bit of length to body and sleeves) - It fits me perfectly!

Something to note - In my experience, the sleeves may shorten a touch, anything from 0.25" to 1" due mainly to creases forming at the sleeves and arm pits, once the jacket wears in. A lot depends on the type of leather and if it gets wet etc...

Roughwears have quite a boxy shape, so they are quite comfortable in the correct size. They also have collar stand, which most earlier A-2 have. This was omitted from most contracts, later in the war. LT John Leggett's jacket clearly has a collar stand.

2BM2K

Whilst searching for photo's of Lt Leggett I came across these Ebay auctions for groupings of some of his items;

More here;

B-Man2

That’s an amazing find, what are the chances that his artifacts would be available for sale, as we are in the middle of discussing Gio’s thoughts about putting together a tribute jacket in his memory.
That’s great work 2NM2K!!

mulceber

I would put a small sum on money ;) on it being a Perry... Thats a very high collar.
Could be a Rougher... There are some on the forum who would likely know better. There are some very keen eyes on here.

Looking at it again, I think you're right, Brett: it's a little hard to tell, but the tips of the collar in the pics look a bit more rounded, like the Perry. But like I said, there are better authorities here than me.

If it is a Perry, your options are rather limited. Good Wear offers the Perry 16175-P contract, but they're the most expensive maker out there, and their wait times are about 2 years right now The Euro is also rather weak against the dollar right now, so it's a bad time for a European to be buying American. Bill Kelso (Greece/England) has also made the Perry 16175-P contract in the past, but its not listed on their website as one of the ones they offer. Andy at Bill Kelso might make you a Perry jacket once the COVID-19 pandemic passes and he's looking to drum up some business. To judge from the photo, you'd want Liberty Russet horsehide, "wool brown" knits, a reproduction conmar brass zipper, and ball stud snaps.

Last edited:

Gio80

Looking at it again, I think you're right, Brett: it's a little hard to tell, but the tips of the collar in the pics look a bit more rounded, like the Perry. But like I said, there are better authorities here than me.

If it is a Perry, your options are rather limited. Good Wear offers the Perry 16175-P contract, but they're the most expensive maker out there, and their wait times are about 2 years right now The Euro is also rather weak against the dollar right now, so it's a bad time for a European to be buying American. Bill Kelso (Greece/England) has also made the Perry 16175-P contract in the past, but its not listed on their website as one of the ones they offer. Andy at Bill Kelso might make you a Perry jacket once the COVID-19 pandemic passes and he's looking to drum up some business. To judge from the photo, you'd want Liberty Russet horsehide, "wool brown" knits, a reproduction conmar brass zipper, and ball stud snaps.
Yes, Bill Kelso has not listed Perry. May be I could apply those options (Liberty Russet HH, wool brown knit ecc..) on a other models like Rough Wear, what do you think?
Anyway, I don't think to buy from States, euro is weak right now and there are hight customs fees. Better hijack to an other model.

Brettafett

What you're describing above is exactly like Mulceber's RW... Classic!
If you do contact BK, do ask about a Perry also? Its not on their website, but I know they have a number of original A-2s they've made patterns from, that aren't.
Both jackets have a trim fit at the correct size.