• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWI German pilot's jacket

Pilot

I found a pair like this very recently, they are in restauration process right now.
Mine are stamped with the “winged propeller” plus “1917”, plus “Döberitz”

Pilot

Some more Samba dancing shoes...

8A9F2FBD-F646-417A-9A54-8992FB1831D7.jpeg
B64ACE2C-30B5-42CF-81D7-80375D5A4C78.jpeg
I found a pair like this very recently, they are in restauration process right now.
Mine are stamped with the “winged propeller” plus “1917”, plus “Döberitz”

Smithy

The Germans not only used British flying kit (and even fug boots as we know) but copied it. German WWI flying kit isn't my thing put I'd wager your boots are German copies of the British version. The British versions have straps with buckles at the ankle, just below the knee and have an adjustable strap at the top which was supposed to attach to a button at the waist.

Pilot

British?

F5A191AB-EA3F-4987-A8D8-8369C6405AE2.png
The Germans not only used British flying kit (and even fug boots as we know) but copied it. German WWI flying kit isn't my thing put I'd wager your boots are German copies of the British version. The British versions have straps with buckles at the ankle, just below the knee and have an adjustable strap at the top which was supposed to attach to a button at the waist.

Pilot

No they're not British Boots, Thigh Pilot, although you can clearly see the influence.
Thx, have not seen british ones yet.
There were 3 Jasta airfields next to my French home during WW1. So here one may still find some relics but most of them Prussian. Same during WW2 again all German, ...mostly now mostly German and a bit of US gear.

johnwayne

Ooh, suits you sir! The German pilot on the left looks like something out of a bad 50's sci-fi movie, quite scary!! Mind you in the days of open top cockpits you wouldn't care too much about what you look like I guess. Surprised some of this stuff is still around and not all locked up in museums.

Pilot

Ooh, suits you sir! The German pilot on the left looks like something out of a bad 50's sci-fi movie, quite scary!! Mind you in the days of open top cockpits you wouldn't care too much about what you look like I guess. Surprised some of this stuff is still around and not all locked up in museums.
....locked up in museums and collectors homes...

dmar836

This, to me, had nothing to do with WWI. Weak provenance despite the prior owner. This pilot, and all combat pilots, have many possessions by the end of life but statistically few of them(the possessions) would have seen WWI service. Without more evidence nothing in the listing makes me think this was a WWI flight coat. Just a chance to make a buck IMO.
JMO,
Dave

Last edited: