• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 original color photos

Chandler

I believe Chennault's A-2 was and still may be displayed at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. Talk about "patina"... Whew!

Speak of the devil.

I wonder if it's the same jacket he was originally issued when he was in the AAC? Since the Aero was a '41 contract, probably not -- which makes me wonder if it wasn't a second (or third) jacket he had in China.

There's an image of him with the "flying trapeze" partners as a captain in an A-2, but it's difficult to see past the parachute harness -- someone might recognize the pocket flap shape.

1934 picture here at Wiki under Early Military Career:

Last edited:

Pa12

I believe Chennault's A-2 was and still may be displayed at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. Talk about "patina"... Whew!
I can believe that. Remember a picture of him and it was hard to tell where the face stopped and the leather jacket started. Tough lookin dude.

mulceber

@Chandler if it's this one, it looks like a Werber to me:
Capt._C.L_Chennault%2C_leader_of_The_Flying_Trapeze_poses_in_front_of_a_Boeing_P-12E.jpg