• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 original color photos

Grant

Nice clear Kodachrome photograph of Dominic Gentile standing next to the 133rd Eagle Squadron crest. The photo is so clear you can make our the Conmar Conmatic zip on his B-10.

DOM.jpg

Maverickson

Hi All,

The following pic was taken in 1944 from the deck of the USS Yorktown CV-10 while underway. The fellow is LCDR Upson & Skipper of torpedo squadron VT-5 aka The Torpcats. The A/C is an Avenger.

When VT-5 returned to the states following The Battle of Midway the squadron was reorganized & trained local to me. Here in VA. Bch., VA. at Pungo Air Field.

Torpedo squadron VT-5 is of some interest to me because of it's direct lineage to my late father's squadron VA-55 The Warhorses. In fact still known as the Torpcats when father joined the squadron in 1955.

A VA-55 member From 1955 until 1959. Before transitioning to jets with the FJ-Fury in 1958, the A/C flown was a AD-6 Skyraider. Still able to deliver a torpedo but by that time also nuclear capable.

The image comes from a WW-2 era documentary film The FIGHTING LADY.

Upson From VT-5 FIGHTING LADY.jpg

I've seen other (B&W) images of Skipper Upson wearing his jacket. Easily IDed as a G&F M-422A.

LCDR. Upson was KIA soon after this pic was taken.

Cheers. Dave

Last edited:

Micawber

Whenever one of this series of photos is posted it invariably provokes me to say that I met and became friends with some of the original 909's ground crew. Their maintenance record earned line chief M/Sgt. Rollin L. Davis the Bronze Star for his role in achieving the record of something like 194 missions with just three turn backs of the 4 B-17's he looked after. Cpl Tony Starcer painted the nose art.

B-Man2

Hi All,

The following pic was taken in 1944 from the deck of the USS Yorktown CV-10 while underway. The fellow is LCDR Upson & Skipper of torpedo squadron VT-5 aka The Torpcats. The A/C is an Avenger.

When VT-5 returned to the states following The Battle of Midway the squadron was reorganized & trained local to me. Here in VA. Bch., VA. at Pungo Air Field.

Torpedo squadron VT-5 is of some interest to me because of it's direct lineage to my late father's squadron VA-55 The Warhorses. In fact still known as the Torpcats when father joined the squadron in 1955.

A VA-55 member From 1955 until 1959. Before transitioning to jets with the FJ-Fury in 1958, the A/C flown was a AD-6 Skyraider. Still able to deliver a torpedo but by that time also nuclear capable.

The image comes from a WW-2 era documentary film The FIGHTING LADY.

View attachment 64001

I've seen other (B&W) images of Skipper Upson wearing his jacket. Easily IDed as a G&F M-422A.

LCDR. Upson was KIA soon after this pic was taken.

Cheers. Dave
Great historic account Dave.
Sadly it didn't end well, but this is one way not to forget his sacrifice

Micawber

Cont'd...

John De Havilland..

Mosquito Hatfield John De Havilland.jpg

Mosquito Hatfield John De Havilland01.jpg

Mosquito Hatfield John De Havilland02.jpg

Mosquito Hatfield 09.jpg

Mosquito Hatfield02.jpg

I was born and grew up just a few short miles from where the Mozzie was designed, prototype built and flown. I also had family who worked at De Havilland's during and after the war too and had friends who's relatives worked in some of the furniture factories that were turned over to manufacturing the fuselage, wings etc. A truly exceptional and very capable aircraft.

Mozzie.jpg

If you are ever in Hertfordshire, UK I would strongly recommend you take time to visit the De Havilland aircraft museum at London Colney. The first aviation museum established in the UK it still has a "homely" feel, not too large and not too small. Long term home of the DH98 Mosquito prototype they also have a couple of other Mosquito's plus many other rare pre and post WW2 aircraft too.

Last edited: