• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 original color photos

Kermit3D

Publicity shot purporting to show the captain of a Boeing Fortress Mark II of Coastal Command holding a final conference with his crew before taking off. The photograph was taken at Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides in front of a Fortress Mark II, FL462 'W' of No. 220 Squadron RAF. The 'crew' were, in fact, an ad hoc group drawn from No. 206 Squadron RAF, and the 'captain' (3rd from right, wearing SD Cap) was Flying Officer L W Taylor RAAF, an Air Ministry public relations officer.

RAF08.jpg

Air Vice Marshal Sir Hugh Lloyd, KBE, CB, MC, DFC, AOC Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces, stands beside the Bristol Beaufighter in which he flew to Britain.

RAF09.jpg

The Commander of the Allied Forces in Tunisia, Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur Coningham, KCB, DSO, MC, DFC, AFC, standing on a perforated steel runway in the Italian theatre shortly before returning to Britain to take up his duties as Air Officer Commanding No 2 Tactical Air Force. January 1944.

RAF10.jpg

RAF11.jpg

Air Marshal Sir Arthur Barratt, KCB, CMG, MC in battledress and flying gear beside a Hawker Hurricane. He often flew this aircraft when visiting airfields of Army Co-operation Command, which he commanded at the time of this picture.

RAF12.jpg

Flight Lieutenant Douglas Alaric Boards, Captain of No 15 Squadron, Royal Air Force Short Stirling EH930, `LS-A', standing in front of the aircraft at Mildenhall, Suffolk.

RAF13.jpg

A bomber pilot, probably of a No 15 Squadron, Royal Air Force Short Stirling, standing in front of an aircraft at Mildenhall, Suffolk.

RAF14.jpg
RAF15.jpg

John Luder

1943. " 'At Ease.' Two soldiers in a bomb storage facility at Camp Pendleton, Calif., admiring portrait of a young woman. Pinup of Susan Hayward hangs nearby."

View attachment 128557
I love this posting of photos.
Excellent idea and Kermit has found ooodles of great photos.
But, without some provenience, I have to question this caption. Camp Pendleton was/is an enormous Marine Corps base in So.Cal. near Oceanside, well north of San Diego.
Are they dog-faces passing through So. Cal. on their way to a tropical posting? Not likely. IMHWO.
Marines only fought in the Pacific (never mind 5 or 10 who had some duty in the ETO).
If they were Marines, the ordinance would say "Fuck Tojo" or "Kiss my Nips" or some such, but not Hitler.
They're wearing HBTs, but they're the Army pockets with flaps, not Marine Corps utilities, as they came to be known.
That's an M-1 carbine he has in two pieces.
The Garand clips fit in that ammo pouch, not the 15 round carbine mags.
Audie Murphy carried a carbine most of the time, BTW.
Remember, I'm not a re-enactor, but I've played on on TV.
I invite, but discourage, dissenting opinions.
Hugs and Kisses,
Jack

Rory Schultz

Never apologize. Geekery is good.

Et tu Brute! I have been an extra in many movies and Tv as well back in the 70's -90's I even tried for the last Alamo movie because I owned my own buck skins, a Brown Bess .75 cal. with it a Spanish Colonial Fluted Powder Horn that was used at the Alamo by a Mexican Soldier, two London Sharps flintlock pistols, Apache Knee high boots all authentic. They turned me down in audition, said I did not look Mexican.....I responded, " I am supposed be a Texican! " When I saw the movie....I just shook my head....jesh, still not correct. LOL

To make a point about the Photos STAGED by Life Magazine.....at the beginning of the war, they were not allowed to print ANYTHING that was correct to what was going on at the Military Bases, because both German and Japanese spies relayed info back to their homeland. It was intentionally mixed up to make it confusing to such Orderly Stiff necked Prussian Officers and .....so called nearly blind squinty eyed Japanese. ( Remember Propaganda?) LOL

John Luder

What violent reaction? Nothing I spoke of was violent. Just giving a nod and expanding a little further on your comment. ( Is that to the point...enough?) Yes, the photos were printed in Life Magazine, some have it in shadow type ( Google Image the source because most of any photos at the time were via Life Mag).....unless we are looking at different photos. But my comments were in agreement and was expanding upon more of the reasons (why) for the appearance of inaccuracies in photographs for that period. It was a staged and also true to current situation. At the period of 1939-41 the military was very miniscule in their budgeting for homeland forces and were busy sending aid abroad. The US Military had outdated everything, even training with wood carved rifles with no ammunition. Congressional leaders were refusing to open their purse strings until after 1941, ( far worse than the Jan 6 Hype ). Hence, that period can not truly be used as the bases for factual evidence to use as a baseline for what was Officially recognized or authorized Uniforms once the USA entered the war. Remember?
BTW I am one of those Older Americans, born at Camp LeJeune raised at GTMO during the Castro coup then evac out during the missile crisis. I spent my youth at numerous USMC/NAVAL bases until aged 13 when my father retired his service from the Marine Corp-WW2, Korea and Vietnam. ( I freaking hated Bonanza )
The pump action shotgun was invented in 1858, was not accepted by many users due to overwhelming smoke and expense. The 4 shot pump action Roper was patent in 1866 and was used. But very expensive. Spencer pump and repeater shotgun was invented in 1880 and patent granted in 1882. It was introduced in the West after this period and "was used" until 1885 then the Company was sold to a French company. What people are getting incorrect was that the Earp Vendetta period was from 1882 to1900. The Movie Tombstone condensed the time frame to appear to be in a short period when in reality it lasted nearly 20 years. Once Winchester developed the smokeless shotgun rounds they became far more prolific. NOW here is the but part.... there were already in existence shotguns as far back as Henry VIII and only for Royalty in hunting fowl. As more and more immigrants were arriving from Europe, some brought shotguns as early as 1776 that were English or Belgian made. Very few though. By the time of the Louisiana purchase and westward expansion more Foreign Made Shotguns did arrive in Galveston and New Orleans with some being used by the Texas Rangers. Mexican Brigadier General Adrian Woll documented that among the captured weapons at the Alamo and following skirmishes were 12 double barrel shotguns. There are also early photos of Texas Rangers in the 1840's to 1870s carrying shotguns. With many local gun makers copying the arriving percussion cap shotguns making the flintlock shotguns obsolete. At the Texas Rangers Museum is the Richards 12 gauge percussion cap double barrel used in 1870. It gets better, in 1855 thru to 1864 Colt produced the Revolving Cylinder 10 gauge Percussion Shotgun that held 5 rounds, as well as the 20 gauge. Popular with the Texas Rangers.
But, in the movie Tombstone Kurt Russell is using a three-triggered Stevens 10-Gauge, a semi-copy of the Colt Model 1878 the standard issue by Wells Fargo. But the ACTUAL Earp used shotgun to kill Curly Bill was a J. Stevens & Co. Double Barrel Percussion 10 Gauge shotgun that was auctioned at the Heritage Auction here in Dallas in Feb. 22, 2020 for 375,000. US. This gun was heavily documented by Wyatt (as the one used), before entering the Wells Fargo Museum and verified by Fred Dodge jr. I was in the audience for this auction, I had to see this piece of History....

As for what Kurt Russell desired to use I would not know, but, I do know that they practiced for months on the proper use of these weapons because these were genuine guns not fakes or some prop firing guns. Also, Peter Sherayko who owns Caravan West Productions is known for being accurate to history and he was the person who desired the use of these particular weapons used to keep it close to history. But this particular shotgun is mega extremely rare and the reason a Stevens ( rare also ) 3 trigger was found and used. As far as difficult to use? The 3 trigger vs 2 trigger...yeah, and percussion caps! Nightmare in a running battle.....pain in the ummm... shoulder! LOL

My mistake, then.
I mistook the Caesar line in the wrong way, and it was all downhill from there. I've been assailed, in other fora, for noting uniform details that no one else seems to care about, and they are often (but not always) something that was done wrong.
I've worked with Peter since 1995, but missed working on Tombstone.
I'll send you a separate note in the next day or so.
Sorry to misinterpret your comments and responses.
Jack