• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ww2 nametag question

John Luder

Eastman do quality name tags.
Yes, thanks. I just looked. Very impressive, indeed. Whether Eastman uses original equipment (it's clearly new leather) or modern, the product looks great. That's where the rubber meets the road. How does it look, not How is it made?
I'll be looking forward to the results from Shanghai's dude. A gold-stamped will be a nice option.
Now, it comes down to the shipping costs from MASH in Japan vs. Eastman in UK.
It's nice to have options.
Cheers, all.

John Luder

Eastman do quality name tags.
I ordered one Friday. Only 25 quid plus a fiver for shipping from Old Blighty to southern Calif. That will end up being a tad over half of the MASH price.
Thanks for reminding me.
Happy New Year

ShanghaiJack

Update #2

I received an email from my leather dude,
he thinks that he can do the name tags.
He's going to research the fonts, and we
will then determine the size of the leather
name tag after he comes up with the font
choices.

shedonwanna

here is a reproduction i made. there was a lot of variety and everyone has a style they like.
name_yeager.jpg

shedonwanna

That is some very nice workmanship. Nice everything. It's comparable to the one I got from MASH. And similar quality to the one on the ELC site, but, I prefer your typeface to ELC.
Are you going to make them commercially available?
Yes, I have offered them for decades. Initially I would make one to go with a squadron patch and often have them listed on eBay. I have several different fonts but only found a set of this font in the last year. What I offer varies with the leather I have available but I can attempt to match what is desired.

I've been lurking around this forum for many years, I recall it was a yahoo forum(?), and I was listed in the fedora site as a contact but that contact info became outdated and I had no success getting it updated.

John Luder

Are we allowed to conduct business here, such as asking the cost and shipping to 91320? If not, burn before reading.

John Luder

Great minds... But mine is still lipstick on a pig.
The hopelessly cocked-up name tag from US Wings, at least, gave me a chance to execute my experiment with acrylic paints for the gold-stamped look.

Of course, a good stamping is the first step.
IMG_8245.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8228.jpg
    IMG_8228.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 65

John Luder

Question on historical typefaces. The old timer who's my avatar, was R. G. McFall. The last of his 15th AF name strips is long gone, just like his Kriegie card and Capri bell. Dammit. Youth, and authentic military relics, are wasted on the young.
Does anyone have examples of real name strips with an Mc name?
Thanks.
John

shedonwanna

Question on historical typefaces. The old timer who's my avatar, was R. G. McFall. The last of his 15th AF name strips is long gone, just like his Kriegie card and Capri bell. Dammit. Youth, and authentic military relics, are wasted on the young.
Does anyone have examples of real name strips with an Mc name?
Thanks.
John
First one is a "Mac" but you can see both caps and lower case were used.
name_macleod.jpg

name_mccarty.jpg
name_mclain.jpg

John Luder

Ah, yes. Different manufacturers.

Thanks, as always. I had a picture in my noggin that it had read McFall.
Now, who, among our group of name strip fabricators has the typefaces with lower case?
Cheers,
John