• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ww2 nametag question

John Luder

Just looked and found them. Thanks for the tip.
But, just for giggles, here's a monkey-wrench (perhaps, spanner to you).
Hap Arnold's flight to Alaska in 1934. Shiny new A-2s, and look at their name strips. It seems that they're gold stamped.
Just when ya think . . .
Mahalo.

Attachments

• 170830-F-XE708-005.JPG
    170830-F-XE708-005.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

John Luder

Thanks, Oz and Jonny.
They look exceedingly nice. I miscalculated the 4500 yen; a single name plate's only about $40.
I never would have found them but for this site. Very glad to be here.
Another picture of Hap Arnold, a close-up, with a clear view of his gold-stamped name plate.
Not an economical practice for the multitudes during a war, I should think.

Attachments

• post-2011-0-13222200-1399574802.jpg
    post-2011-0-13222200-1399574802.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

John Luder

Duke,
Who is ELC? Sounds interesting.
I just ordered the J.H. DOOLITTLE from MASH. Man, that ain't cheap. I'll advise whether it's worth the $39 to buy and about $35 to ship to SoCal.
I have some artistic talent, so I might get some "gold" paint from Tandy and try it out on a cheaper name plate.
And, wait for it, I found another gold-stamped name plate; one of Doolittle's pilots, Maj. John A. Hilger, pilot of Crew 14.
But, according to a modern Air Force site, Hilger was a Lt. Col. at the time of the flight. It's also an Air Force site with the photos of the crews, and which IDs him as a major.
He got his butter bar Feb 1935; 89th Recon in Washington May 1940; lt.Col March 1942; Brigadier Oct 1956.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 2.58.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 2.58.54 PM.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 124

johnwayne

Duke,
Who is ELC? Sounds interesting.
I just ordered the J.H. DOOLITTLE from MASH. Man, that ain't cheap. I'll advise whether it's worth the $39 to buy and about $35 to ship to SoCal.
I have some artistic talent, so I might get some "gold" paint from Tandy and try it out on a cheaper name plate.
And, wait for it, I found another gold-stamped name plate; one of Doolittle's pilots, Maj. John A. Hilger, pilot of Crew 14.
But, according to a modern Air Force site, Hilger was a Lt. Col. at the time of the flight. It's also an Air Force site with the photos of the crews, and which IDs him as a major.
He got his butter bar Feb 1935; 89th Recon in Washington May 1940; lt.Col March 1942; Brigadier Oct 1956.
ELC = Eastman Leather Company! UK based and one of the oldest ‘modern’ makers of repro flight jackets after Aeroleather (Scotland). They produced a ‘A2 manual’ that’s still available and tells you all you need to know about original A2 jackets!!
It’s cloth bound and as said, surprised they didn’t do a select quantity bound in leather for the hard core jacket-heads - there’s a lot out there, many of them members here!!!

John Luder

My MASH nameplate arrived yesterday. Surprisingly quickly, given MASH's disclaimer that it may take weeks. Mine arrived a week after I place the order.
I remember my step-father's left-over nameplates (he's the image over there).
The periods after the initials were square. So are the periods in the plate I just got. I don't know if I ordered a border, but there it is.
I suppose the "different manufacturers" axiom applies to the border and the periods.
Now, all I have to do is steady my hands and attempt the WRIGHT patch for the museum's A-2. Say, I never noticed that Irish pennant hanging from my name plate.
Cheers, all.

Attachments

• IMG_7980.jpg
    IMG_7980.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 103

JonnyCrow

My MASH nameplate arrived yesterday. Surprisingly quickly, given MASH's disclaimer that it may take weeks. Mine arrived a week after I place the order.
I remember my step-father's left-over nameplates (he's the image over there).
The periods after the initials were square. So are the periods in the plate I just got. I don't know if I ordered a border, but there it is.
I suppose the "different manufacturers" axiom applies to the border and the periods.
Now, all I have to do is steady my hands and attempt the WRIGHT patch for the museum's A-2. Say, I never noticed that Irish pennant hanging from my name plate.
Cheers, all.
I like Mash stuff, dies what is says on the tin :)

John Luder

Very Disappointed with the US Wings name plate. As you can see, the letters are crooked and the the cuts are jagged and not clean.
I gave them a try because they're run by U.S. vets. I paid for everything, but it arrived with me owing $5 for additional postage.
I've looked at nameplate entries on other threads here, some are not too old, but all of the ebay links go nowhere.
I got good results from MASH, but that was a wodge of dosh, ergo, not for the casual purchase.
Back to the drawing board.
Happy New Year, all.
IMG_8106.jpg

John Luder

I'm a lucky dude, I may have found a local
guy to reproduce the larger 1930's style
Gold embossed leather name tags.

Any input from the VLJ hive regarding leather,
font, and letter size would be most welcome.

Stay tuned for the results.
Any results yet? I love the 1930s gold stamping.

ausreenactor

Very Disappointed with the US Wings name plate. As you can see, the letters are crooked and the the cuts are jagged and not clean.
I gave them a try because they're run by U.S. vets. I paid for everything, but it arrived with me owing $5 for additional postage.
I've looked at nameplate entries on other threads here, some are not too old, but all of the ebay links go nowhere.
I got good results from MASH, but that was a wodge of dosh, ergo, not for the casual purchase.
Back to the drawing board.
Happy New Year, all.View attachment 92245
Hope you didn't order it after the MASH Japan tip...

That is garbage.

ShanghaiJack

No updates yet, due to some family
issues, my daytime hours are occupied.
When life-things simmer down, I'll have
more time to devote to the name tag
project.

John Luder

Hope you didn't order it after the MASH Japan tip...

That is garbage.
Like sending out scouting parties, I ordered both at the same time. I ordered them around December 2nd. MASH arrived within a week. I called Wings on the 22nd and the man who answered said it had just been done and would be mailed presently.
I'm really sorry it didn't work out. The guy's a retired s/sgt and his site says all his employees are vets. If the product had been good, I'd have been able to put up with the wait. But this is pathetic.

ShanghaiJack

Update #1

I spoke to the leather guy today, and things went very well.
He's doing some research as to what Gold foil would have
been used in the late 1920's-1930's, and we have to decide
on:
Type of leather to use for the nametape.
Size/dimensions of the leather nametape.
Font style, and size for the embossing letters/characters.

He'll call next week when he has more information.

John Luder

Update #1

I spoke to the leather guy today, and things went very well.
He's doing some research as to what Gold foil would have
been used in the late 1920's-1930's, and we have to decide
on:
Type of leather to use for the nametape.
Size/dimensions of the leather nametape.
Font style, and size for the embossing letters/characters.

He'll call next week when he has more information.
I don't like to be pedantic, unless I'm being dogmatic. That self-effacement aside...
Like costuming a movie or tv show, which I've had some experience with, it's the final product that matters, not how it's made.
If your chap uses modern gold foil and stamping equipment, but it looks right, we're good - none of us is trying to pass this off as original.
There's a reason we oftime kid about "different manufacturers". It was as true in 1940 as it was in 1917 or 1898. Maybe Brooks Bros. made gear, like they did for TR.

Steve27752

Eastman do quality name tags.