• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 era repro Shearlings, looking for opinions..

Brettafett

Gents,

I am curious, having never owned a shearling. Am aware of the basic design differences, but want your opinions about these jackets. Which do you prefer and why?

I’m specifically enquiring about WW2 era US shearlings, B-3, B-6, D-1, ANJ-4 etc…
(Irvin is simply iconic… If thats your pick, of course incl it, all good).

Possibly looking at one of these in the future, but doubt I’d be keen on something big and bulky.
Currently thinking repro D-1 or B-6.

If theres already a thread on this, apologies, pls share the link.
Thanks in advance.

Greg Gale

I'd really love a B-3 one day, but there aren't any affordable repros out there. WPG is quite inaccurate in the pattern, fingers crossed for an AVI later this year! ;)

I love the B-3's narrow wrists as well as the "patched" look of russet on seal.

The B-6 should be less bulky than the B-3, but longer, which makes it more practical. (then again, I like the bulkyness of the B-3) I find the D-1 looks too simplistic for my liking, doesn't have the charm of the former two.

I can only speak about the Irvin from experience. I know, not an american jacket, but WPG makes a fantastic copy. They're the AVI of Irvins. No collar rubber band, nor lightning zips, but other than that it looks like a wartime production Irvin.

Skip

Irvins are by far the most comfortable, I regret selling my original but it just didn't get the wear. I own a RMNZ M445 with shorter fleece and it's a prime jacket for walking around in cold Winter winds or Winter open top cruising, the collar is tall and toasty warm. Being a USN jacket its comfortable to wear, has a 'different' or you might say unique collar closing scenario but it works, has storm cuffs and keeps me toasty warm. Oh and has 2 patch pockets which are invaluable

johnwayne

Dr H is right and anything original Irvin also Roughwear! That said Brettafett, like moi you live in London and rarely does it get that cold to wear one, particularly if you jump in and out of a car a lot or even worse on public transport, so for that reason I've personally never justified in my head the logic of spending a lot of dosh on a jacket that would hardly get worn although like you too it probably would be D1 or B6 if I decided to venture down that route! Must admit I've been very tempted by some of the lovely B3's in the For Sale section from time to time though but obviously not enough to pull the trigger!!

Persimmon

An N-1 will do the business of staying warm in winter and so much easier to live with.

Mind you for the money as Greg points out re a repro WPG Irvin with a zipper change and a few tweaks here buy that and you have a useable good looking jacket.

Dubpynchon

My favourite is the ANJ-4 as well, mine's a beast of a jacket but if the weather turns really cold it's the one I grab. Practically a D-1 might be your best choice, it looks good and you'd get to wear it for longer.

dmar836

I would agree that the B3 is far too bulky and restrictive for daily wear. It reminds me of the traveler that somehow manages to carry 3 good sized bags onto an airplane - your just taking up more space than needed at the possible inconvenience of others. I also feel, and this is only my opinion, that it screams I'm trying too hard. I have worn it on bitterly cold days but those are the days when I seldom see others up close - shoveling snow or flying on a cold day. If using public transportation - no way!
JMO but you asked for O's so,
Dave

Roughwear

During the winter here in the UK I wear Irvins and my ELC mixed batch Perry on a daily basis. A decent original Irvin will cost less than a high end repro and if worn sensibly will last for many years. I have several I bought 15 years ago which I wear each winter.

Lorenzo_l

While on a visit to ELC I tried on a B-6, which is among the lightest shearling jackets out there. It came across as too heavy and restrictive, at least for me (ok, it was a brand new jacket, not broken in). Then I tried on a N-1, on Rob's suggestion. It was a revelation - lighter than the B-6 (although not exactly light in its own right) , easy to wear and very comfortable. Still considering getting one. I am with Alan on this one...

Brettafett

Thanks for the input guys... I tried on a B-3 and immediately began to overheat. And that was January in London, if I recall correctly, which means it was a pretty cool day.
(I'm ok wearing an A-2 and a scarf in the middle of winter...) That said, the D-1 felt ok, though sleeves felt a bit too short.
Tbh, I am just curious... These jackets are very expensive, heck.

B-Man2

Brett
If you have a chance try on a B6. It’s a viable alternative that you can wear in a variety of cold weather temperatures by either adding or removing under layers of clothing. Many guys like the D1 for the same reason. I have a ELC Irvin , a B-3 and a B-6, unfortunately I live in Northern Florida which has an average year around temp of about 65 degrees Fahrenheit. So they never see much use except when I travel to colder areas of the US or on those occasional days when it will hit 30 degrees up here. Hope that helps.

Brettafett

Yes, I'm kicking myself for not going to that section at the airshow. But, they have a pop-up later in the year I can visit.
I guess, I'm wondering what AVI is going to come up with, and if it is a shearling, would I want one.
Even in the middle of winter here in the UK, I wear my A-2s (layered)... and my B-10, which ticks all the boxes for a cool-weather jacket, is just brilliant.
That said... These shearlings are growing on me.

B-Man2

Shearling jackets have a classic style about them of years gone by, when the aviators who wore them were the “ Rock Stars” of the day. It’s an image that you don’t often see today unless a person hangs out with guys like us, who have an interest, an understanding and a respect for flyers of that particular time in history.

Thomas Koehle

I got one of those “50 cal” B3 from ELC last year.

Price was around 1.000 Euros as most of you know but i’m really in Love with the jacket.

I’m not a layering guy thus I ordered my regular size 44 which is imho a perfect fit.

I usually drive a Landrover Defender where you sit in a pretty upright position with a heating that does not really deserve the name so I do not have issues with the bulkiness of the jacket. I like those extra layers of leather on the elbows and reall enjoy how the jacket adapted to the shape of my body in a relatively short time.

I forgot the mention: bending your head backwards wearing the B3 is literally impossible but driving a Defender with a 2” liftkit and bigger types does not make it necessary to do so ... :)

I wasn’t that active in the forum before but B3’s in bigger sizes do pop up in the forum relatively often so should be possible to find a used one even.

I would be after a B6 also coz I like the shape ...

MeachamLake

Got an ELC B-6 on order at the moment. It's by far my favourite shearling - just the right weight for UK winters, and enough space underneath to layer a jumper when you need it. Nicely tailored cut to it, so it looks sharp too! The D1 is good but a pretty boxy and shapeless fit in my experience. From your photos, you have quite a slim build so I think the B-6 would suit you down to a tee.

The Irvin and B-3 are brilliant to look at, but far too heavy for our weather. Not worth the money in my view - get yourself a B-6 and a few repro WW2 sweaters for when it's seriously cold and you'll be good to go :)

MeachamLake

Here is the 46R Eastman B-6 I ordered to gauge how much longer I'd need my final jacket to be. These are slim fitting jackets, so size up. I normally wear a 44 in the vast majority of A2s for reference. Hopefully it gives you an idea of the fit and colour, the photo is pretty accurate.

Flip flops optional! :)

D0088_E35_B71_C_477_F_916_F_EA167_C9_B0_DBA.jpg

B1757_CD1_6430_4_BA7_AE26_8_E90_E0_CE727_B.jpg

MeachamLake

Optional??
Hmmm...........I don't know ………...I think the red color sort of sets off and enhances the overall look of the B-6!
What about the rest of you guys??;)

:D It was absolutely roasting on the day I took that photo...but I had to try the jacket on with jeans and a shirt/sweater underneath to make sure it fit okay with layers. Talk about a portable sauna...!