• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ww2 edged weapons.............

shanghai joe

OK,

How best to declare a WW2 dagger sent from the US...without it being confiscated by Customs as weapons?

Suggestions welcomed!

SJ

Atticus

shanghai joe said:
OK,

How best to declare a WW2 dagger sent from the US...without it being confiscated by Customs as weapons?

Suggestions welcomed!

SJ

A large dagger shouldn't be a problem. But for God's sake, don't try to ship a bottle of Head and Shoulders or a package of Splenda. You'll be in prison fro the rest of your life.

AF

shanghai joe

Atticus said:
shanghai joe said:
OK,

Suggestions welcomed!

SJ

A large dagger shouldn't be a problem. But for God's sake, don't try to ship a bottle of Head and Shoulders or a package of Splenda. You'll be in prison fro the rest of your life.

AF

15 inches looooong.......how shall it be declared tho???

Atticus

shanghai joe said:
Atticus said:
shanghai joe said:
OK,

Suggestions welcomed!

SJ

AF

15 inches looooong.......how shall it be declared tho???

"Antique, Collectible, Innocuous, Benign, Dull-Edged Tool".

AF

Andrew

Whatch out Joe, if yours is anything like ours it could end in tears....

I bought a .303 cartridge from the UK which was deactivated in 1914 by the Brit. Gov. and made into a pencil seen here;
http://www.kinnethmont.co.uk/1914-1918_ ... x-1914.htm
As I have several of the brass Christmas tins and I thought this would be a cool addition. I thought nothing of it and about a month after it was sent I received an angry letter from Customs demanding proof of a prohibited weapons license or some special import license (hardehar). I was instructed to contact the weapons guys at Police HQ to provide the necessary documentation or else they would retain it for destruction. I gave them reams of stuff about the historical significance but it was all for naught.

This is an item which was 90+ years old at the time and wasn't going to hurt a fly unless I wrote some rude words with it. As I didn't have the required clearance they kept it and presumably mashed it up. I asked if I could send it back to the UK and I wasn't allowed to as I didn't hold an export license (!) so I asked if I could bequeath it to a museum and they wouldn't let me even do that.

I have however received from the US an Aussie made 1907 pattern WWI Lithgow bayonet which went through fine- I guess because it wasn't a firearm. Have you checked to see if it's a prohibited item?

shanghai joe

Leadsky said:
Whatch out Joe, if yours is anything like ours it could end in tears....

I bought a .303 cartridge from the UK which was deactivated in 1914 by the Brit. Gov. and made into a pencil seen here;
http://www.kinnethmont.co.uk/1914-1918_ ... x-1914.htm
As I have several of the brass Christmas tins and I thought this would be a cool addition. I thought nothing of it and about a month after it was sent I received an angry letter from Customs demanding proof of a prohibited weapons license or some special import license (hardehar). I was instructed to contact the weapons guys at Police HQ to provide the necessary documentation or else they would retain it for destruction. I gave them reams of stuff about the historical significance but it was all for naught.

This is an item which was 90+ years old at the time and wasn't going to hurt a fly unless I wrote some rude words with it. As I didn't have the required clearance they kept it and presumably mashed it up. I asked if I could send it back to the UK and I wasn't allowed to as I didn't hold an export license (!) so I asked if I could bequeath it to a museum and they wouldn't let me even do that.

I have however received from the US an Aussie made 1907 pattern WWI Lithgow bayonet which went through fine- I guess because it wasn't a firearm. Have you checked to see if it's a prohibited item?

thanks, Andrew!

I think with daggers and swords maybe you can delcare them as works of art.......or somethng along that line. If it's declared as an edged weapon, then it's up the rectum............

I'll pass as it's just not worth the aggro.........

back to jkts collecting then...............

Flightpath

Here's an interesting one.............

I sent a complete/inert 1944 British Mills grenade (No. 4 in the photo) to a collector friend in London last year.

I dissasembled it and packed it with other resistance items in an 800 round .30 carbine 'spam can' (No. 3 in the photo). The grenade was given to me by a WW2 sabotage group leader who lived in the appartment above us.

Somehow the package arrived without a problem, Clive assembled the grenade and had it and other items in his office ready for a display he was doing somewhere............

That night/next morning the security company called, a break-in at his office!!!

Clive arrived to find the grenade and other items gone, his mint Type 1 F-S commando knife ruined after being used to open a fileing cabined.........

A couple of days later he heard on the news that a grenade had been found a few blocks away, the police had sealed off the area............. Clive raced down and told the police that the grenade was empty but to no avail, the RAF bomb squad arrived and took the grenade away in a steel box on a trailer, they stuck some plastic explosives to it and destroyed it!

Here's part of my Norwegian resistance collection.......... almost all from family and friends for free!
Milorgnumbered.jpg

cheers,

-John

Flightpath

shanghai joe said:

AF

cheers![/quote]

Hi,

a friend in the US sends knives and swords marked as 'metal wall hanger'.

I have a 1906 norwegian officers sword I'd like to sell but am afraid of the customs laws as well!
1905guardpage-1.jpg

cheers,

-John

shanghai joe

Flightpath said:
shanghai joe said:

AF

cheers!

Hi,

a friend in the US sends knives and swords marked as 'metal wall hanger'.

I have a 1906 norwegian officers sword I'd like to sell but am afraid of the customs laws as well!
1905guardpage-1.jpg

cheers,

-John
[/quote]

a friend suggests..........ready..........butter knife...........with a 10 inch blade!

Roughwear

This forum is for any general questions about flight jackets / motorcycle jackets / civilian jackets - both vintage and new. :eek:

Roughwear

swoose774 said:
try taking a look over at life beyond the internet, not much about jackets there either.

What I meant was asking about the postage for edged weapons does not belong under Vintage and the person who started this thread has been a member long enough to know this. Perhaps Bill can move it elsewhere?

Flightpath

Roughwear said:
swoose774 said:
try taking a look over at life beyond the internet, not much about jackets there either.

What I meant was asking about the postage for edged weapons does not belong under Vintage and the person who started this thread has been a member long enough to know this. Perhaps Bill can move it elsewhere?

Sorry about my bit in this thread guys, I'm new here and got a bit carried away, you can scrub the whole thing, it's o/k with me! :oops:

cheers,

-John

Roughwear

Flightpath said:
Roughwear said:
swoose774 said:

Sorry about my bit in this thread guys, I'm new here and got a bit carried away, you can scrub the whole thing, it's o/k with me!

cheers,

-John

John, You didn't start the thread, only contributed to it. Shanghai Joe, who started it, was asking a reasonable question, but is this section of the forum really the place for it? :eek:

Flightpath

Hi Andrew,

no problem, but I do know that there are knife sites on the net and lots of people who frequent sites like this with just one interest (jackets) might not be interested in knives ect.

By the way, the weather here has turned a bit cold, I might not have to wait until winter to wear my G-1 after all!!! :D
cheers,

-John

Roughwear

Flightpath said:
Hi Andrew,

no problem, but I do know that there are knife sites on the net and lots of people who frequent sites like this with just one interest (jackets) might not be interested in knives ect.

By the way, the weather here has turned a bit cold, I might not have to wait until winter to wear my G-1 after all!!! :D
cheers,

-John

Yes it is much colder here in the UK, John. I am even contemplating wearing an Irvin to the Duxford Airshow on sunday!

Flightpath

Yes it is much colder here in the UK, John. I am even contemplating wearing an Irvin to the Duxford Airshow on sunday![/quote]

Boy, I'd give my left lugnut to get to Duxford! :mrgreen:

I went to the Reno Air races in 1993 and Paris airshow in 1981 (showing my age now), the 1st Tasmanian air races (forget the year).... but Duxford would be great!

Reno was the best, days of V12 Merlins, huge radials (Rarebear ect.) and even some jets!

cheers,

-John